View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 02:54 PM
t hedge coke
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
I didn't take issue with her regression because I believe that to be normal in life. Sometimes it's one step forward two steps back, but it's how we live and learn and people don't just get over their issues, some live on to repeat them. If anything, it's kind of comforting to me to watch her screw up and flail. I enjoy watching people's flaws and where they go from points of destruction.
And, really, if you're with Logan, especially in what's a very fantasyish other-woman scenario (their "Vegas" is basically their fairyland) and his friends and their outlandish, almost magical lifestyle, how easy to regress would it be? How easy would it be to lose perspective hanging out with the Life and Death Brigade and drinking straight scotch a half hour before noon every day?

I think Logan was "regressing," in that relationship, too. I got the sense he was hiding out from his family, his dynasty role, and his wife-to-be by having "Vegas" with his college sweetheart. He's hiding his fiancee's stuff from Rory, or at least, promises he wouldn't leave it anywhere she could see, but I've got to wonder how much of that is also for himself; protecting the illusion, the fantasy.

The new season may have actually made me like Logan a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
Rory will be fine, she's just understandably nervous about motherhood and how it will affect her life. I don't see that ending as depressing or total regression, it's progression as in she's progressing to the next stage in her life which will be peppered with both happiness and sadness and fear and hope.
I wonder how much of any of our reactions to those last words and the pregnancy, itself, are tied directly to how we feel about pregnancy and babies in general.

On first watch, I saw Lorelai's fearful expression as more about her, and her flashing back to her specifically less than fun experience with pregnancy, more than anything about Rory's pregnancy or Rory's actual circumstances. But, that's because I was like, "It's a baby! There's going to be a baby!" Rory'd be a good mom.

Babette and Morey need a cat and lawn gnomes, not a kid. Kirk and Lulu need a pig. Michel should probably just have some new chowchow puppies. Taylor... Taylor has a son, doesn't he? That's scary. But, Rory'd step up to motherhood. And, who wouldn't want a grandma like Lorelai? Granddad Luke?

I'm not delusional to the point of Jackson's four in four, but I like kids. I was raised by a single mother. I work with kids. I can't have kids, but I've moved in nieces and nephews. You seriously date someone with kids, you're also raising their kids. So, I probably mythologize it a bit, in a different direction from the fans who feel the pregnancy or kid will hold her up or derail her life and career.

I think, handling it with as minimal information as they did, it really brings out our reactions the best. Our reactions become huge. We've got to fill in all the blanks.