View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 11:59 AM
lessismore
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysjolex (View Post)
I agree with this completely. I think they dropped the ball on Serena's character a lot, and I think instead of seeing her how they presented her in season one (strong, beautiful, bubbly, compassionate and always kind) they started to see her as Sabrina - shallow, vapid and flighty. Which I think did such a disservice to her. Because yes her abandonment issues from her dad did have an effect on her, but it wasn't all of who she was!! Tje people closest to her (that line of BLAirs in season 6 made me laugh, because the people closest to you don't treat you like crap and not even care. But then again season 5 Blair was like a completely different person) were the ones who stopped appreciating her, and that made me so sad for her . That one episode in particular after Nate fired her, her grandmother had died and she had to deal with DB, I just wanted to give her a hug

I always think that the back half of season 5 is like a badly written fan fiction, Blair in particular seemed to slide into the role of Clair Carlisle because it was easier than facing her feelings of loss and heartbreak. But the issue is that Dan treated Serena SO poorly, I agree with you, she did not deserve that at all. I just spent countless episodes feeling so sorry for Her and Chuck, they got pounded by the writers episode after episode. I was so happy by the time 5x22 came!!!
If you think about it, it really was AU of AU actually. Maybe on paper it made sense but as usual execution was a disaster.

In second half of S5 everyone took their roles in Dan's book. Chuck said to Louis don't let someone fiction to be your reality and in Season 5 Blair chose a safenet to avoid the messiness of a real life with her true love. How I love that scene between Serena and Blair in 5x13

Blair took the role Claire Carlyle, especially in 5x16, who was also a mixture of Serena and Vanessa. You can actually see her wearing Serena's coat in 5x18. As a character the most damage is done to Blair in Season 5 imo. she was unblairable. She became a wannabe Princess. Till the end she was the weakest of herself, where we actually see her finding her inspiration back in 5x22. Before that she even let the steering wheel to Dan, or of all people to Georgina. Could you imagine Blair like this before? She was fierce and strong and she became pod!Blair.

Serena became as you said shallow. A golden shell of herself.
Nate was struggling to become his own man.
Chuck was maybe not dead but he was out of the picture.

Oh and Dan, he didn't change that much because Dylan is actually him as he said he was the worst

See if you watch the first half of S5 again and second half (if you can stomach lol) you can see how they were paralelling first half with two. After CB's crush GG is gone and the show becomes an AU of AU (Dan's book). The idea is really intreguing but on screen it sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysjolex (View Post)
I always forget how much I loved Dan/Serena in season 1 until I'm rewatching it and remember how cute they were!! Serena made Dan so happy and vice versa, it really is so sweet to watch! And I loved Dan in season 1, he was judgemental but he at least acknowledged it, and they all had flaws which is what made them such great characters. Such a shame they couldn't retain the quality of the writing all the way though.

And Personally I don't view Blair as strong in season 5, she had no direction or drive and was in an incredibly vulnerable state, after so much loss (the baby, Chuck) which Dan enabled. But I also don't think it's weak to finally decide to follow your heart and accept the love she felt for Chuck (who went though serious character development in season 5 actually), I think that was her finding herself again. But we'll probably never agree on that
I absolutely agree with this too.

Last edited by lessismore; 09-16-2016 at 12:04 PM