View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Raonaild
Master Fan

First the good:

I'm so happy that Fitz and Simmons finally got together this season. That the wait since "you're more than that" did eventually pay off, almost 2 years later.

And I'm glad that, overall for the season, the two had lots of good scenes together (if not always happy ones), particularly in the first half. I wasn't at all happy with the Will plotline or the portal, but at least they resulted in lots of big scenes with Fitz and Simmons. And I'm glad the show made their relationship such a big part of the story this year, and that it evolved in a way that they're together for the long haul, and something pretty major would have to happen to break them up now.

I'm also glad Fitz and Simmons made it out of the finale unharmed and together, and are still together six months later, presumably when S4 will start.

And I was happy that Fitz finally got some payback for his and Simmons' capture and torture when he outsmarted then killed Giyera. Fitz is often at the mercy of the bad guys being smaller and more engineer than field agent, I'm glad he was able to finally to turn the table on someone as dangerous as that. It would have been better if it had been Ward, but the fact that it was Giyera was still pretty satisfying.

Then the not so good:

I'm not so happy that the show spends so much time dwelling on the angst in their relationship, and then doesn't spend nearly enough time trying to resolve that angst in a satisfying way. It happened in S2 when Jemma left Fitz during his recovery and they had a lot of scenes about them being hurt by the situation, but never showed them actually reconciling their differences. The closest we got was the date scene in 3.02 where Fitz acknowledged he was not the nicest person during his recovery, but they never had a scene where they came to an understanding about what happened and forgave each other.

And now, similarly in S3, they never really resolved all the angst that built up in the first half of the season. They had scenes with Jemma's PTSD and difficulty readjusting to the world, which just disappeared without comment all of a sudden. Fitz's feelings of inadequacy compared with Will and Jemma's claim to love Will and indecisiveness about how to deal with the situation when she might have to choose between Fitz or Will never came up again after they found that Will was dead.

I'm also not happy that FitzSimmons didn't get a bigger moment together in the finale. It was nice that they were planning a vacation together, though I was hoping we would actually get to see a bit of it. Nor did we get any kissing, declarations of love or even a really significant hug. Also, they were split up and both in danger at various points in the ep, and though at times Jemma expressed concern for Fitz, they never had a big reunion moment when they did finally reconnect. I also expected that they would struggle more with getting split up and/or put in danger, especially given their "cursed" history. Fitz did warn about the "complications" of them being in a relationship, and surely one of those complications with two SHIELD agents is knowing the other is in danger.

I'm not really happy either with the six month time jump and what that means for FitzSimmons. I'm glad they're still together, but it means missing the rest of the team reacting to finding out they're together, or all the moments where they try to navigate the initial stages of their relationship. When we come back six months later, they'll already be well established and have worked out any of those initial issues.