View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Mo Nighean Donn
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Carrie Underwood co-wrote "Smoke Break," her hit single for which she received three CMT Music Awards nominations on Monday, but she tells Rolling Stone Country that believing in herself as a songwriter has taken some time.

"I think I'm a lot more comfortable now sharing ideas and being willing to sound stupid because you're going to say 99 dumb things before you say that one thing where you go, 'Oh my gosh, that's it!'" she says. Underwood penned six songs for her current Storyteller album, including her most recent Number One, "Heartbeat."

"Some days are better than others," she says, when it comes to inspiration. "Mainly, I want to get together with people I like and have fun with and write songs. . . Some days are amazing and we know it, and then some other days are like," she adds with a sigh, "'Well, we had a fun day.'"

Underwood's current single "Church Bells" continues to climb the charts, but she confesses she has no idea yet what the fourth single from Storyteller will be. "I want to have an album full of potential singles and it's all about what we're feeling at the moment," she says. "Your ideas change too. In the beginning when you're making the album, you're like, 'This one, this one, this one. These are definitely the ones that should be singles,' and things just evolve and change, so it depends."

While Underwood continues her headlining Storyteller Tour throughout the summer, she's already looking forward to her December dates in Australia with Keith Urban. "We were both going to Australia, so we were like, 'Let's go together and just make it that much bigger and more awesome,'" she says. And since they both have small children, there's a decidedly kid-friendly atmosphere backstage, which thrills Underwood. "He's a family guy, which makes me feel good. . . It's a nice environment to be in."
Carrie Underwood Talks Songwriting Trial and Error, Keith Urban Tour | Rolling Stone