View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 03:35 AM
ollibear
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)

Exactly. The story doesn't have to be 100% anything. Each parent could respond a different way. Each child could respond a different way.

In much the same way as the writers chose to move their story away from a study of Deaf culture, I also feel that they have moved their story away from an examination of the switch and all of the identity issues that must stem from it. I find myself wanting more depth. I want that story and the Deaf story. I never wanted to explore PTSD, TBI, BPD, Title IX, or Down syndrome.

In Seasons 1 and 2, I really foresaw their story being this in-depth look at identity and what a switch like that would do to two families. And to me, it feels like the writers abandoned that in Seasons 3 and 4, just like they abandoned Deaf culture.

Why haven't we seen anymore jealousy? Why haven't we seen anymore awkwardness?

I do feel Regina and Bay not bonding is realistic, but it's also tragically sad to watch unfold, especially considering all of the other tragedy that has been a part of Bay's life. Why couldn't that story have been chosen for Daphne instead? She has had pretty much everything go her way, and Kathryn's rejection of Daphne would have made her acting out after Angelo's death more understandable.

Bay's first love cheated on her. Her first "puppy love" lied and said that he cheated on her, when he really didn't. She injured her hand during her senior year and was unable to gain admission to the college of her dreams. Her biological father died. She was convicted of a crime she did not commit. Instead of helping Bay, a local college took away her power (and Tank's power), when the two of them made some bad decisions involving alcohol and sex. And after forgiving him for cheating, Emmett coldly dumped Bay during one of the most traumatic experiences of her life.

Bay was right, when she was talking to Emmett at the art gallery, during the Season 4 finale. That's a lot for anyone.

As for whether Lizzy Weiss drew from that particular news story, I doubt it. As far as I know, it was just released to the news media this week. But I do know that Lizzy Weiss has studied many other baby switch cases. She has tweeted about several of them, when they have hit the news at various times.

During Season 2, I remember Lizzy Weiss's tweet from one news story, in particular. Lizzy Weiss tweeted that what struck her the most was that one of the mothers said that finding out about the switch made her love her non-biological daughter even more. Evidently, knowing that they were not related biologically, for that mom, made their bond infinitely deeper.

I would think the opposite, but I guess one never knows.

At the end of this post, there's a story that was ALL OVER the news, when it first happened here in Virginia. It has been in the news again, now that the two girls are older. If you search online, you can see pictures of all the people involved. Lizzy Weiss has tweeted about this story, as well. She tweets about these sorts of stories often enough that I do believe she has purposefully researched them, during her time with Switched at Birth.

In this story, the little girl, Rebecca, has feelings that remind me of Regina's feelings for Bay, and the biological mother, Paula, has a wistful desire to know her biological daughter, just like Bay longs to know Regina:

Baby switch girls together apart - Telegraph
Has anyone checked out that second baby switch story at the bottom?

That story is such a tragedy, right down to one set of biological parents dying just two days BEFORE the baby switch was ever discovered.

It makes me sick to my stomach to even think about that. Can you imagine if John and Kathryn died two days before Daphne learned about the switch? And she never got to meet them?

Or if Regina had died two days before Bay learned about the switch?

It's heartbreaking.