View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 03:33 PM
lyndell75
Fan Forum Hero

You're welcome
Entertain the Idea

Quote:
Here’s a new look at Idris Elba as the villain Krall from Justin Lin’s Star Trek Beyond, the upcoming third installment of the franchise, courtesy of EW. If you missed it, watch here the first trailer.

Your character has been shrouded in mystery. Please tell me everything about him.
I play Krall. This is a man with a definite purpose. I say a man, but he’s not a man. Or is he?

Everyone wants to know: Is he a Gorn?
No.

Is he a new species in the Star Trek universe?
Yes. What’s interesting about him is that he has a real beef with what the Enterprise stands for. Krall’s a character who’s deeply steeped in hatred — in my opinion, a well-earned hatred — for the Federation. It felt quite political. There’s a relatability to what’s happening in our world. Not everybody’s happy with what everybody calls the good guys.

There’s that line in the trailer, “This is where the Frontier pushes back.” It feels like a refutation of the whole foundation for the Federation.
There’s some history that we explore, to understand why he feels the frontier needs to push back. There’s definitely an opposing argument to the good that the Federation think they do. There are purists that believe in independence, and believe that we’re all made differently for a reason, and will fight tooth and nail to defend that. There’s massive relatability to modern world politics in that sense.

Some Star Trek bad guys are physical threats, and then there are villains like Khan who give all kinds of great megalomaniacal speeches. Does Krall fall into one of those traditions?
Krall is predatory. He’s not one for big speeches. He is one for going to get what he wants. If that means having to do it himself, outside of his army, he is not afraid to do that.

What is Krall’s relationship like with Kirk in Beyond?
Working with Chris [Pine] was a good old laugh. He’s a funny boy, and a wicked professional. But in terms of Krall and Kirk… can we say, Jaws and Dory?