View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 01:30 PM
SouthernSweetieTX
Master Fan

In America we have world history, in high school for one year. Interestingly enough, I didn't have to take world geography as I was an honor student. I did take world geography in college though. That was a long time ago and I've slept since then.

Ireland is on my must see list. I've been to London, that's the only city in the UK I've been too. Unless you count Dover, but that was just the train station.
I adore London! I still remember the feeling I had when I stepped off the train. It was something almost magical. I've been threatening to move to London for over 20 years. It was by far my favorite city I've visited in Europe. I was only there for a few days, but it was enough to steal my heart. I loved the tubes. The underground is truly exceptional. The metro in Paris was awful. I could have spent days in the British museum!

My husband was stationed in Berlin in the late 80's. His job was to guard the wall, and he was there when it came down. His favorite favorite country is Germany. I agree with him; it's a beautiful country and the sweetest people, but it is way too cold for me.

I love the space of Texas. I don't even have to look across the pond to appreciate it. One look at NYC and I'm so grateful for our sprawling suburbs.

There is certainly history in Texas, something we spend a lot of time learning in school. Texas is unique as we are the only state that was once a republic. We aren't Midwest, we aren't truly Southern; we really are like our own country.

There is far more US history on the east coast, but obviously nothing that can touch what is in Europe. I love the castles, museums, churches, the cobblestone streets. It was so easy to drive everywhere. We rented a car and drove through most all the countries we visited. We only took a train a few times.

I hope Taylor ventures outside of Florence. He's really close to Rome and Pisa. Venice isn't too far north. I really liked Venice for the old world feel and gorgeous views of the Mediterranean. We won't know til someone spots him!

I've talked myself into a need to plan a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantetagrum (View Post)
I would recognise most european countries by shape and name. The Baltic States that used to be part of USSR, and left when Russia was formed, can catch me out. Similarly, I know all the US states but I might not recognise the middle US ones just by shape.

I think the one thing I envy the US states for is the low population levels per square mile you have. Take Texas, it's the size of France with a third the population. A fifth of the UK population but twice the land mass. That must be nice but you miss out on the history that oozes out of European soil. Within 15 mins, I have pre-historix standing stone, roman roads, medieval castles and Victorian seaside esplanades.

I live in Wales; which is a principality of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. I am a subject of HM Queen Elizabeth II and, come to think of it, so is Taylor Kitsch. (ROFL. Had to find a link somehow!)