View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 04:54 PM
hopeless romantic
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla (View Post)
It's actually pretty common that the older a show is, the less "new" fans they have. Because most fans come around during the first two seasons, generally, when the show is new, and they don't have a lot to catch up on. This applies to literally every show....
What I know is that the paradigm of "television" is changing. I keep hearing about "you should be watching this show" long after it premieres, largely because broadcast networks seem to be losing more and more viewership to "on demand," and there's enough appetite for "on demand that I've never seen before" that amazon.com, hulu.com, etc. are sponsoring shows that have never been broadcast over the regular airwaves.

The result is that I'm personally spending very little time with my actual television switched on, which makes it difficult for a small, good show to grow anywhere but a start-up like BBC America, which seems to be willing to put assets into OB that come close to what the original Auntie Beeb put into the Doctor -- and that's survived for decades as being "a cult show."

Do I want OB to go through many actresses taking the roles of the "Leda Clones?" Absolutely not. But when people still barely know that the show exists (let alone have watched a single episode, I think that pessimism about the show's trajectory are based on an antique model and that almost all "programming" is in a state of flux.