View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 10:23 AM
JJH85
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Related to this fundamental idea of the soulmate – for which Dawson and Joey were the example used to work the idea through – were the many warnings that if soulmates don’t end up together, they will live an unfulfilled life. This is an idea repeatedly returned to throughout the series (in other couples like the two on Witches’ Island, for example), but perhaps most significantly in the Season 4 A. I. Brooks character. The man who actually married Brooks’ soulmate returns to tell Dawson, and indeed tell the viewers, that the three people involved in that triangle had made a mistake. Brooks did not marry his soulmate – she married their friend, and while that marriage was reasonably happy it
wasn’t what should have happened and that, if there is an afterlife Brooks and his soulmate will be together. This is a key storyline in a season where Joey has ‘chosen’ someone other than her soulmate. The clear (indeed, only) implication of this is to put a gigantic red sign over Pacey/Joey to indicate that: this is a bad idea. Soulmates, whose destinies are connected forever, whose lives are bound up in each other. And who should choose each other because if they don’t, they will lives ultimately unfulfilled lives. The suggestion here is that Dawson could end up like Brooks, and Joey end up like Brooks’ soulmate, ultimately regretting the bad choices they make.
I think that is a misrepresentation of the facts. There is no mention that Brook's first love ever regretted her decision to be with his friend and his friend stated that they had a good life. It's like someone mentioned in an earlier post about not forgetting your first love and nothing to do with wanting to be with them.

Pacey will never forget his first love with Andie, but he also knows he doesn't want to be with her. It by no means diminishes what they had together, just that it was not going to last. That is the same with Dawson and Joey, what they had was great, but it didn't mean they were meant to be together forever.

icon credit: crash landing
JJH85 is offline   Reply With Quote