View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Captivating
Elite Fan

Cadence Delongpre
That’s it, you can do it, Cadence silently encouraged. Her petite frame drew closer each second, refusing to budge. Adrienne had a hug in her somewhere. Shark lawyer and man-eater reputation be damned. A solid minute passed before patience received its just reward. Cadence’s jaw throbbed from all the smiling she was doing. The big sister from her youth had been missed. ”See, that wasn’t so bad.” Mr. Cool himself (Prescott) welcomed her hugs. A blond furnace, he’d dubbed her, not that Adrienne would care. ”I’ll be here your whole life if you need another.” Cadence released her hold, cobalt and emerald eyes locking. Wheels were turning. Adrienne had her courtroom face on, the ‘more bark than bite’ comment resonating deeply. Challenge accepted.

“You have nothing to prove. You know that, right?” Cadence scurried after Adrienne, cursing her Prada pumps. If shoes weren’t hurting, they weren’t helping, grandmother insisted. She’d half a mind to toss the heels behind her, had guests not emerged. Adrienne was halfway down the stairwell before Cadence waved the white flag. ”Play nice!” she demanded hopefully. The redhead smirked and waved goodbye, and it was a good thing she did. On the overhead balcony stood Liz and Phillip Sinclaire. Cadence blinked in confusion. What could those two possibly have to talk about? She’d discuss the details with Liz another night. She’d already kept Jonathan waiting too long.

Cadence weaved through the crowd gracefully, years of ice skating perfecting coordination. She waved at her grandmother and Christian along the way. She nodded toward Lynette and Sydney as well, the gesture unnoticed. An aura of tension hovered above the bar. When would those two make peace? Honestly, they were more alike than either cared to admit. Not innately, but the cousins took the cake for stubbornness. ”I’m here, I’m here, so sorry. Check-collecting partner, at your service.” Cadence greeted her friend with a kiss on the cheek. “You look dashing, by the way. Sydney dumping you did wonders for your wardrobe,” she jested. “Still, her loss. What have I missed?”

TAG Jonathan

Last edited by Captivating; 12-23-2015 at 01:16 PM