View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 12:47 AM
Fooltocry
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, that's where I first saw her. I always liked Kathy. Paget tells how she got the art in the same Onion AV Club interview:

Quote:
AVC: Your first real breakthrough was a recurring role on Friends. Was that just your standard audition situation?

PB: No! I was terrified! I had moved to Los Angeles and shot one pilot [World On A String] starring Dana Gould, and it didn’t go. And then I auditioned for Kathy at Warner Brothers, and there were, like, three devastatingly beautiful young women in the room—you would know who they were—waiting to go in, so when I went in and Matthew Perry was there… I’d watched Friends, so this was terrifying to me. This was my first job in L.A. that I thought I might get, and suddenly I was going, “I’m never going to get this!” I went, “Clearly, I’m your runty alternate, so let’s get this show on the road!” And Matthew said that was it. He was done. Matthew told me later that he and [executive producer] Kevin Bright… Matthew had said, “Well, that’s the funniest one, she’s the one,” and they hired me to do it. It was four episodes, and then they made it six.

But I had a black bob, and when I got Friends, I started rehearsing that week, and the hair people cut all my hair off and dyed it red—it took six hours of lightening to dye it red—and then when Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman, and David Crane came down to watch the first day, Kevin Bright starts screaming. “I hired her because she had a black bob! You can’t do this!” And as he’s screaming at the hair guy, I just went upstairs, I put my magazines in my bag, and I just sat and waited, like, “I lost my best job I’ve ever gotten.” And then Kevin Bright came in the room and he went, “I didn’t hire you because of your hair! I just can’t have them making changes without them telling me!” It turned out that the next girl that Chandler was going to fall for was Monica, and the hair guy had said, “I needed her to not look so much like Courteney [Cox].” So that’s why he dyed my hair. I don’t think I’ve ever told anyone that story!
Love that Matthew Perry knew she was the best choice.