View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Ellevee
Part-Time Fan

Lauren’s on Self Magazine, p. 162, last page. It appears to have written by Lauren herself (the article’s written in the first person with her signature at the bottom .The Self-Improvement in the title appears to be her own handwriting.). It’s got a pretty photo of hers in jeans and t-shirt with “Love” written on it, which I believe she has worn on GG. I’ve scanned the entire article and will send it to Jenna asap.

Quote:
Lauren Graham’s secret to a satisfying life: SELF-IMPROVEMENT

Onscreen, she’s TV’s hippest mom and, n the edgy film Bad Santa, Billy Bob Thornton’s lover. Offscreen, she believes in taking action and not fretting over her biological clock.

I’ve always been good at switching perspectives when things aren’t going my way. In my 20s I was living in New York City, working at Barneys during the day and as a cocktail waitress at the Improv ‘til 2 A.M. I’d go long stretches without any jobs as an actor, but I’d always manage to scrape together enough to take an acting class. Asking “What else can I learn?” has helped me stay inspired.

I landed the role of Lorelai Gilmore in Gilmore Girls in March 2000, on my birthday, which made it even more of a celebration. At first I had all this energy. But as the schedule got tougher, my ability to deal with it flagged and by the start of the fourth season, I felt run-down. I wasn’t working out much; if I couldn’t spend an hour at the gym, I wouldn’t go at all. So I looked for someone who was meeting the challenge better than I was, and I thought of Jennifer Garner. Alias is so physically demanding, yet Jennifer always looks great. I called her trainer, who turned things around for me. Now I spend 20 minutes running, weight training—whatever. If I have time to do more, great. If not, that’s fine, too. I feel so much better having a habit I can count on.

As a kid, I loved riding roller coasters and seeing scary movies. I like existing outside of my safety zone. But it’s not necessarily about taking on physical dares; I’m interested in discovering new things: going to museums, reading books and, on weekends, visiting flea markets, where I find old oil paintings. I’m talking no-name, school-projects paintings. I have a ton, and not one cost more than #30! I reframe them and hang them together. They look cool.

My mother moved to London when I was 5, and I was raised by my Dad in Arlington, Virginia. I had wonderful women in my life-my grandmother, my aunts. Still, my stepmom came at a critical time. My Dad remarried when I was in high school, just when I needed someone to talk to about boys. As an adult, it’s also been important to spend time with my mom. Chunks of experience are missing, but we have a pretty positive relationship.

People are asking if I’m nervous about having kids [Graham is 36]. I hope it will happen, but I don’t regret my path and I don’t envy anyone else’s. Because when you make one choice, you may be forsaking others, so you’d better like your choices.
Ellevee: Yeah...Well, thank you so much Lauren. You don't know how much this means to me.
Lauren: (Smiles and nods) Bye Ellevee. Take care. Ellevee: Bye Lauren
Avi by Ele