View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Pigquet
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)

Perhaps Bay is afraid if she says to Emmett, "I don't know whether or not I was raped," she is fearful that he will see that as her admission that she might have said "yes" to sex with Tank.

It seems almost easier for Bay to just say, "It's complicated," because then, she doesn't have to admit that she may have said "yes."
Well, not to judge Bay too much, because I truly do believe that she's trying to do the right thing in all of this, and I sympathize with everything she's been through in this whole mess, BUT...if that is the case, and she's purposely avoiding saying anything but "Its complicated" in regards to whether she was or was not raped, then she's kind of doing exactly what Tank accused her of: trying to rewrite history so that she doesn't feel guilty for cheating on her boyfriend. Right?

I mean, if Bay's thoughts on that matter, in her head, are truly "I cannot be 100% sure if the sex was consensual or not because I blacked out, but I am almost positive that Tank did not rape me, and its likely I gave him some form of consent, even if it wasn't verbal," then...THAT'S what she should say when telling this story. THAT'S what she should have said to the investigator AND to Emmett. But she isn't doing that. She keeps repeating the line "Its complicated" almost as a cheat so that she doesn't have to blame him OR blame herself. And that's kind of wrong. She says she wants to tell Emmett the truth, but the "Its complicated" line is really a clever way of bending the truth. Its almost an "I have no idea" rather than a "I don't know for sure, but I have a pretty GOOD idea it was not rape."

That is IF she is only saying that for the reasons you stated above. If she's saying "Its complicated" so that she doesn't have to tell Emmett she may have consented. If she's only saying that because its how she truly feels, then there's nothing wrong with it at all. But yeah, if she's only saying it to get herself out of an uncomfortable and guilty confession to Emmett, then it really is not the moral or respectable thing to do.

And also, I am not at all implying that Bay was doing this when Tank first accused her of it. That's ridiculous. She hadn't even thought anything about this possibly being rape until Regina brought it up. She would never make up a rape story to absolve herself from guilt of her own mistakes. No, I think during the first two episodes of this arc she was genuinely terrified that she may have been raped because of what Regina said.

BUT if she is doing what you implied NOW (avoiding saying it was or wasn't rape so that she can't make Emmett think she cheated), well...yeah, that's exactly what Tank was accusing her of, and its really wrong. I wish, as hard an issue as it is for her, that Bay would just ONCE use the words "consensual" or "non consensual" when talking about this with someone. It may be true that its "complicated," but I think you're right that she does feel strongly on one side, that Tank didn't rape her, and she should admit that.