View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 04:30 PM
piratewench78
Extreme Fan

I know people know this, but I read over and over and over how indignant someone is over a character's decisions and I'm not trying to stir anything up - truly - but I guess I always try to consider that it really isn't the character making the decision or the actor making the decision, it's the writers. And they're trying to create drama, no matter how misguided they may be.

In the case of Deacon and his illness, I would really like for him to tell people, so that he can have the support he needs. My preference would be for him to tell Rayna first, so that the two of them could tell Maddie together. That's the logical, normal way something like this would be handled, but these writers are a breed unto themselves and they have yet to do things - at least in the last season and a half - that make sense. So I don't trust them to tell the story the way it should be told.

But I will also say that sometimes parents do things to protect their children. I don't have children, and don't know who here does, but I do know that my father was diagnosed with lung cancer and never told my brothers and me that he was terminal. We were all old enough to have understood it and, based on the treatments and the progression and other circumstances, we should have known, but we didn't. We only realized it after he had died. I don't know if he was in denial or if he wanted to protect us or he just couldn't face having that kind of conversation with us. It did rob us of the opportunity to say goodbye, but I will never be angry with him over that.

And that's really all I have to say about that. I know there will be those of you who will vehemently disagree with this approach, but it happens in real life. I just can't judge.