View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Drunk On You
Fan Forum Hero

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Stars; 1/5

Quote:
Thank the Lord Jesus I finished the book. It was almost a DNF. It was horrible, just plain horrible. It read like a really really bad fic written by a 12 year old. Since it was rated pretty decent not to mention pretty much number 1 on majority of the NA related lists, I thought it would of been good. I wanted to give up after not even the first two chapters.

Travis is everything I hate in male love interest. And so not realistic at all. No one guy has every single lady throwing themselves at him like that. I've seen this type in many books and fics, and very unrealistic. I'm sorry you meet the one woman to tell you no and you can tell she's different? And you fall in love and completely change? Yeah not buying that.

The writing style sucked. Not to mention everything happened way to fast. Wasn't one of the plot points was suppose to be that Abbey's best friend America followed her to this college, yet we barely got anything with these two. America was too busy stuck up her boyfriend's ass, who also happened to be Travis' cousin. And not to mention she had met him when school started. Which I'm assuming that this book picks up not long after they arrive. Already she's spending all her time with him and spending every night with him and not in her dorm? Whatever.

In first meeting Travis, unlike every other girl on campus she's not interested. So that gets Travis' attention and convinces her to come over later with America. Upon arriving Travis declares he's hungry and gets Abbey to come with him. With really takes no convincing at all. So minutes upon arriving to hang out, she leaves her best friend to go get something to eat with a guy she barely knows and wants to avoid? *roll eyes* Not to mention Travis can't believe there's someone that doesn't have any interest in him? Oh no! Say it isn't so! And because of this he decides they should be friends. Which we saw no development of friendship at all! And when the hot water goes out Travis and Shepley insists they both come stay with them until it gets fixed. And Travis insists Abbey sleeps in the bed with him, no sex just sleep. And she agrees?! GTFO of here.

There's so much wrong with this book I can't even begin. Both Shepley and Travis is suppose to be in this frat but they are hardly ever involve. Yeah...no.... They should of left that out. Or the underground fight club? In college? Nope.... Speaking of college, the college setting made no sense what so ever. Would of probably been better if they weren't in college. When Travis breaks out in song and gets the whole cafeteria to be his backup? Or how once Travis and Abbey do get together, he goes head over heels in love. HE WENT AND GOT A TATTOO OF HIS NICKNAME FOR HER. WTF plus another tattoo of a quote about love. Which that not to bad. Plus he's already talking about putting a ring on her finger! She was really freaked out, yet she let is slide. Really?! WTF.

Now I did like the whole Vegas scene. Abbey was hiding a lot. The book should of focus more on that. But that didn't last. Abbey's roommate at one point asked her if she knew what co dependency was. She nailed it on the head. Their relationship wasn't healthy. He couldn't function without her. Or how he never told his father and brothers they broke up and he manipulated her into still going to his family for Thanksgiving, and even going the night before to stay the night. Not only that his dad is already calling her a Maddox and his brothers are calling her sis? It's barely been 2 months at this point. Or how he sees her out with another guy and tells her that he has a big fight and needs her there. Oh look he snaps his fingers and she goes running. And then he admits to her it was partly to show Parker that she is his. I wish they would of gave Abbey and Parker more of a chance. I liked them, and thought Parker would of been good for her.

I ended up skimming a lot of the end. I'm not even sure how or why they got back together. And the end... WTF I mean yes come on you are in love. But you are young. I don't want to say what happens...but....

I knew I should of stopped reading last night. But I was curious. And then as I got more towards the end...well you can't look away from a train wreck. But seriously they should just take Beautiful out of the title and have the book name as Disaster.

April