View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Aquillea
Part-Time Fan

'A gem'
I agree Candace.
I think my harshest criticism of this episode is that I'm quite convinced that nothing in the final few episodes (this season) will touch this one, so they'll seem a bit anticlimactic.

My favorite episode of the season, obviously. One of my faves, period.

I've never been particularly anti-Madison or anti-Delia, but they're not tops on my list of characters either. This episode is definitely a strong contender for my 'best of show' for each of them. The scene where Delia 'fired' Madison was pure, bittersweet beauty.

I'm a devoted Haroldite and even his continued refusal to talk to Andy works for me. Yes, he really should try harder to see Andy's side of this... But the writers and Mr, Amandes have been masterfully painting a portrait of Harry as a man who loves few but loves fiercely. If Andy had done something that felt like a betrayal and did NOT involve Harold's kids, that would have been hard enough... however nobody but NOBODY better mess with Harold's kids. That's a double whammy and Harold's sentiments don't just blow this way and that way with the wind. He was terribly upset at Linda when she first blew back into town. It took a while for him to get over it. It would be out of character for Harold to just get over this falling out with Andy in the very next episode. I do hope he gets over it before seaon's end, tho.

I loved the Andy/Nina scene. She is soooo right for Andy!

I too enjoyed ALL the Amy scenes. Like Rose... I've missed Amy. These past couple of episodes it's felt like she's back and I'm glad to see it.

Loved the Bright/Ephram stuff! Just loved it. Bright trying in a teenage-boy way to be understanding but then losing it in the face of his bigger problems. Ephram NOT getting angry but showing concern! Then Ephram doing the pep-talk thing. Just wonderful!

But of course, my fave was Harold/Bright. I include in this the Harold/Rose scene about Bright. He bleeds when his kids hurt. As was noted above, it was no surprise at all that Harold was waiting for Bright... but expecting it didn't make it any the less touching. In fact, one could make an argument that the expectation made it more touching... because you just *knew* the Dad could be counted on. It called to mind a special memory or two of my own Dad. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

On a lesser note, as a West Wing fan, I kinda had to love Mrs. Landingham being in the episode too... especially when Delia got her playing 'spit' near the end.

I'd call this one a work of art. I'm gonna have to learn how to program my new VCR because I don't think I'll be home for the rerun on Sunday, and I definitely want this one on tape!!!

-Aquillea

[ 04-12-2004: Message edited Aquillea ]