View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Pandorama
Extreme Fan

I've got to agree on the blood vs water thing. First of all, Eric was cycling and in an incredibly bad place, and Abby was one of the few people he had to help him with a disease that was not his fault. Second, Abby showed up to his grandfather's funeral even after he'd been kind of a jerk about Luka, so she ought to have some credit in the bank for that. Third, I know grief can't be quantified, but Gamma was very old, had lived a good life, and had died peacefully. He also had two parents, albeit dysfunctional ones, in his life. That's a blessing a lot of people don't have, let alone with a girlfriend at their side (who Gamma had made clear she didn't like, for what that's worth).

Carter always seemed to view Abby's family as a burden or an inconvenience and while he should be commended for usually being there for her when those issues arose, it often highlighted his savior complex whereby he rode in on a silver steed (steed being a metaphor for private travel agent) to rescue her. It's nice to be able to alleviate the financial burden associated with those difficulties, but I think sometimes he used it, perhaps unconsciously, as a means of trying to fix things when the issue was much deeper. I'm not critical of his charitable nature, but I think if Carter had a nice long talk with a psychologist, he'd uncover some issues that tied his money, his Gamma, and his love affair with the dark continent together. I don't know if they'd have time to get to what he saw in Kem, though. She was just a pain in the butt.

I don't think Abby and Carter were happy when they were together, either. But that's in large part because they weren't happy as individuals. I think their relationship allowed them both to deny the things that were truly broken in their lives instead of confronting them, and I think they would have managed to ignore it even if Abby had "replapse" tattooed on her forehead and Carter had "mind your own business" on his.