View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Mirime
Part-Time Fan

I actually still have hope, and it’s for one, simple reason: the ratings. They’re horrible. Granted, it’s because this show is not what it used to be (to put it mildly), and it may or may not have anything to do with the couples. However, I’m pretty sure that the writers will be forced by the Powers That Be to find a way to reset it somehow, and bring it back to its roots (after all, they blew up the town). And Stefan and Elena’s relationship used to be the heart and soul of the show. I’m fully convinced that the writers’ increased focus on DE’s relationship had everything to do with the network (once upon a time, we used to hear that this show’d always be about D/E/S; and now Stefan’s moving on and that’s it?), but at the same time, it accomplished absolutely nothing. Less and less people tune in, and TVD can’t even get a 1.0 rating. They will have no choice but to adapt a different strategy to promote the show, and S/E may be just that.

And I think there has to be a reason why the writers resurrected both Enzo and Alaric, and there’s something going on between Damon and Bonnie. It’s to give Damon some friends, so he’ll have someone to talk to once the inevitable break up happens. At the beginning of the show, when he was very much single, he had many acquaintances. Caroline, his sex toy. Alaric, his frenemy. Liz Forbes and Carol Lockwood. Then Mason Lockwood, Rose, Sage etc. When Alaric died, leaving Damon with a grand total of 0 friends, he got together with Elena. Enzo appeared around DE’s breakup number I-lost-count.
At the beginning of the show, Stefan was very much a loner, and the majority of his interactions were with Elena. Okay, he was friendly with everyone, but I don’t think he was that close to anyone but Elena and Damon. But then, when Stefan and Elena got separated at the end of season 2, he started to interact with Klaus, he grew close to Caroline, he had a sort-of relationship with Rebekah. And now Caroline’s the only one he has left.
To me, it seems like the writers can’t handle it for long when a Salvatore brother has a girlfriend and a friend, so they choose only one thing from the list. It may end up being good for us.