View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 03:39 PM
MistyMountainHop
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannygirl704 (View Post)
I would’ve liked to see Penny make a return if only to find out whose side of the family she was from!
Yeah, that's a mystery that'll never be solved.

Quote:
I remember Bernice mentioning a Jerry…can’t exactly remember Paul but it must have been some passing moment. I think in my head I’ve pictured Marty being Red’s only brother because he was the only one we really saw and it was their mother’s funeral so if Red had other siblings wouldn’t we have seen them?
Exactly! Red and Marty were the only ones going through Bernice's stuff, too. If they had other brothers, one would think they they'd have been involved in that -- or at least mentioned as wanting certain things from their mother.

Quote:
In TV shows characters tend to mention siblings that turn out to never exist. And sometimes we even see siblings and they turn out to not exist again after that one episode. But for me, Red and Kitty each had only one sibling…although I could easily add in this Jerry guy for moments/ideas that don’t make too much sense like Penny lol
Yeah, it happens on TV series a lot.

I'm looking through the episodes with Bernice -- or that mention Bernice. In "Thanksgiving" (109):

RED: Where's your grandma?
LAURIE: She's not coming. She said she's going to cousin Joe's for Thanksgiving.

---

Okay, so Red has a sibling who has a son named Joe. Could be Marty's son, but one would think he'd have gone to the funeral.

From "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" (110):

KITTY: Who is that, dear?
RED: "My mother. Seems like Uncle Paul broke his ankle, and she's going to church with us today."
KITTY: No, she's not. It's Paul's turn to take her.
RED: Well, like I said, he broke his ankle.
KITTY: Broken ankle? Whatever. It's his turn.

---

So Red has a brother Paul who lives close enough to take Bernice to church every other week. Could be Joe's father. Marty had to drive in -- seemingly from a distance -- for the funeral, so I doubt he and Paul are the same character with the name changed. Would've been interesting to see Paul and Joe for an episode.

Also from "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" (110):

KITTY: Well, it's nice to see you Bernice.
BERNICE: I hate this car. You know I just hate this car. Your brother Jerry has a beautiful car. A Lincoln. But then he makes more money, a lot more money than you do.

---

Okay, I think "Jerry" and "Marty" might be the same character. In Days Like These (the British version of That '70s Show), we learn in "Grandma's Dead" that Marty has a lot of money, and he offers to pay for the funeral since Red's losing his job. Red, though, insists on splitting the cost.

Marty in Days Like These seemed more materialistic than in That '70s Show, though he also did also push Red to open up to his feelings.

I love trying to figure out this stuff. *geeks*