View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 05:33 AM
IceKat055
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong (View Post)
TBH, I didn't see the Ep 3 scene as rape, because I viewed it in the context of their whole long and twisted relationship. It is quite obvious from the books that their sexual relationship is one that has involved aggression - Jaime actually remembers overcoming her objections at times, and turning her blows to kisses, so the whole 'consent/coercion' aspect is not a simple one at all in THEIR particular complex and twisted relationship, which has involved aggressive sex, power struggles and personal demands/manipulation. This wasn't a stranger rape, there was no weapon or threats involved, it wasn't a 'first night in an arranged marriage to a stranger' scene such as Dany /Drogo, it wasn't a drunken misunderstanding about Yes/No/Maybe in a casual relationship. This was one incident of demanding, aggressive sex in a long-standing relationship, which puts a very different complexion on things. And given that Book Cersei had no problems in hitting Jaime on several occasions, I don't think she would have had any trouble in hitting him and fighting him if she REALLY meant 'No'. I am not in any way suggesting that all rape victims must or should fight to indicate non-consent - I am simply looking at the specific J/C relationship and personalities.
I think you just summed up how I felt about the whole thing, I just couldn't figure out a way to state it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong (View Post)
Yes, it was ugly, and yes it possibly could have been made slightly clearer for show-only viewers, but book readers need to look at all the facts about their relationship e.g. the sex scene in the tower at Winterfell, where what Bran saw was also aggressive sex where Cersei was moaning 'no'.
And this is the one thing I wish they'd done. Having Cersei say "yes", just one time, would have made ALL the difference for so many fans. Then they'd just be squicked out by the obvious (brother & sister banging over their dead son), rather than being so disappointed that Jaime was seemingly being painted as a rapist.

‘If I fall and die, it will still have been worth it,’ she had thought.