View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Jerry D
Administrator

I always had the feeling that some of the stories of Season Three, like the possibility of Nikki and Dawson hooking up, or Dawson getting involved with Devon (who was played by Rachael Leigh Cook) the actress in the movie he was producing, were scrapped when they decided to go with the Pacey/Joey/Dawson Love Triangle.

Here's what I wrote about this episode when it aired:

I personally enjoyed this episode a great deal, and I thought it reflected the maturation of some of the characters as they begin to venture out into the world and get their first glimpse into what could be out there for them.

I really enjoyed seeing the interaction of Dawson and Joey in this episode, from the way they teased each other in the opening scene, to the way they expressed their doubts and fears about what the future held to one another. I also was really elated by the way that Joey comforted Dawson and encouraged him after his film was panned, drawing back on their long history together, and finding exactly the right words to comfort him. I was also touched by the way she put her arm around him. This just reinforces one thing that I’ve always felt, that the friendship of Dawson and Joey represents the heart of Dawson’s Creek. I thought it was a very telling scene at the end of the show when Dawson and Joey talked about what had transpired that weekend in his room, and their conversation reflected the differences in their outlooks on life. Dawson, on the one hand, seemed to want to retreat back into his sheltered world, while Joey, on the other hand, seemed excited about the prospect of venturing out into the world beyond Dawson’s room and Capeside, and perhaps beyond Dawson.

I liked Dawson’s interaction with Nikki, and I really liked her as a character. Dawson’s different conversations with her at various points during this episode reflected, once again, both the positive and negative aspects of his character, as he initially acted in a self absorbed and immature way after his film was panned and Nikki tried to offer him some constructive criticism. Later though, he atoned for this selfish behavior by offering her genuine praise and an empathetic ear when her film didn’t win first prize. In that one scene, Dawson showed the sincere and kind side to his personality that can make his character so endearing. I’m happy about the introduction of Nikki as a character on Dawson’s Creek, and I hope they explore the “friendly competition” angle between her and Dawson, and see where it leads. It’s also refreshing to see a “real” character introduced as a possible love interest for Dawson instead of an over the top caricature.

I really disliked the character of AJ, and I found him to be a very smug and condescending elitist snob when he first met Joey. I thought his public humiliation of Joey’s choice of her favorite book was both cruel and entirely unnecessary. I really hated the way he looked down on Joey for being a “little high school girl” while he was the “big college man,” and I also found it difficult to believe that Joey would put up with such despicable behavior. I did enjoy the scene where Joey and AJ read from “Little Women,” though, as AJ finally showed some regret for his boorish behavior. I also thought that it was incredibly moving when Joey explained to him why “Little Women” was her favorite book, telling him that her mother used to read her that story, and that her mother named her after the character of Jo in the book. To me, though, that made his earlier dismissive and insensitive attitude towards her selection of that book as her favorite all the more reprehensible. Still, though, like Dawson, AJ did try to atone for his initially boorish and insensitive behavior, and in so doing, he apparently redeemed himself in Joey’s eyes, and set up a scenario for a possible future romance between them.

I enjoyed seeing Jack’s cautious foray into the gay lifestyle, and I thought it was completely realistic that he was both intrigued by and deathly afraid of what he found at that gay bar. I thought it was an ironic metaphor for Jack’s reluctance to fully accept the fact that he’s gay when the bus driver said to him “Are you in or out?” when he hesitated to board that bus filled with other gay people. It was good to see him meet Ethan, though, and I look forward to seeing their relationship develop in the future.

Finally, I was happy to see that the writers are finally starting to redeem Andie’s character somewhat, although I still find her strident perkiness to be incredibly annoying. I enjoyed seeing Andie interact with Fran Boyd, and the advice Fran offered to Andie was both touching and true. I thought it was good to see Andie verbalize her feelings about her mother, and to finally start to make peace with her brother’s death.

I really missed the presence of Jen and Pacey in this show, but there is obviously only so many story lines that can be fit into a one hour show, so I guess it was their turn to be missing in action from this particular episode.

Overall, I thought that this show was one of the best shows of the season so far, and I look forward to seeing what develops in future episodes.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote