View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 09:14 AM
julialex

Yes, I think onscreen couples "click" probably for somewhat different reasons than real life couples. For instance, I don't think it's necessarily true in real life that people with similar personalities make bad couples. But I definitely think it's a bad thing in a dramatic couple. Pacey and Audrey were both extroverted comedian types with hidden hearts of gold. Together there was absolutely no dramatic impact. Whereas Audrey's goofy bawdiness would have made a nice contrast with Dawson's arrogance and reserve.

What makes a couple appeal to one person and not another I think depends on a lot of subliminal factors. We aren't looking for a mirror perfect reflection of reality, but rather something that triggers an emotional response.

I've often read some Dawson fans question why this character is so disliked and I think that also comes down to the same thing. For many people he set off bad memories of selfish, arrogant men we've known or had awful experiences with in relationships. But for Joske, Jerry, Logan and a great many other online male fans, he seemed to trigger memories of their own adolescent selves and they always tended to view him in a gentler light because of that. Again, an example of the kinds of things writers can't control.

Joske, I know that was one director's opinion. I don't get your point. I think it's a good quote that explains the natural progression of the stories on the show. Do you think people need particular credentials in order to make good observations about DC?