View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 01:42 PM
wbviewer
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by julialex:
<STRONG>DC was a teen soap but not a soap opera? I guess I'm not getting the distinction.
[ 03-25-2004: Message edited julialex ]</STRONG>
In a earlier post you seemed to say that DC didn't become a soap until they focused solely on the romance storyline I was just pointing out that romantic storylines don't make it a soap although they are generally a large part of the storylines

Quote:
<STRONG>
This shipper topic always seems to upset people. The thing is I LOVE romantic stories. Love them. They are my favorite kind of story. And when I get one I like, I want to see as much of it as I can - basically, in tv terms, that is what shipping is.
[ 03-25-2004: Message edited julialex ]</STRONG>
Don't you only get a shipping problem if there is some kind of triangle? A romantic storyline between 2 people is great, but in almost every case a 3rd person is introduced which creates division in the fans because some people will like one pair and some people will like the other.

Quote:
<STRONG>
Time and again when I read what shippers are looking for in a story, I am struck almost dumb by the banality of what they want to see. [ 03-25-2004: Message edited julialex ]</STRONG>
I agree completely. That's why I loved the triangle. I don't want to be tortured in real life with confused feelings and angst, but I love my TV characters to be that way!

Re:Angel
Quote:
<STRONG>
They have had wonderfully creative stories this year, and no shipper wars have been started, no fans clawing each others eyes out over rival fantasies. Great writing. A show I'm never embarassed to recommend to friends, or to watch with company.[ 03-25-2004: Message edited julialex ]</STRONG>
I agree the show is quite good and funny to boot. I'm not as into the show as I was into DC but I think you underestimate the shipping regarding the whole Buffy/Angel/Spike triangle. There is an article in TV Guide this week specifically about that subject and how the triangle will be resolved in the finale. Joss Whedon quote, "Definitely, the question of Angel versus Spike looms large in Buffy's mind and in the minds of the fans, but I'm not saying whether or not I have decided to answer it."
If that's not fanning the flames of shipping fandom, I don't know what would. The writers, producers, advertisers know that once you have a quality show with a decent fan base there is nothing like a triangle to keep the embers burning. People want "their" couple to "win". And will generally watch to the bitter end

I think Everwood is a top-notch drama and I think Berlanti was an asset at DC that was not utilized well. Everwood always has interesting storylines for all the characters, although I think this season they have isolated some of the storylines too much from the other storylines.
wbviewer is offline   Reply With Quote