View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 09:10 AM
wbviewer
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by julialex:
<STRONG>
DC was a casualty of shipping. I think a lot of shows learned from it. Romance is a great dramatic ingredient but when you base a show on romance (like DC did, BECAUSE of the DJ story that put it on the map) you never get anything but soap opera.

[ 03-25-2004: Message edited julialex ]</STRONG>
DC was a teen soap, it was a serialized drama of teen trials and tribulations. The DJ romance or any other romance do not make it a soap opera.

You mentioned Angel, which I think has suffered greatly due to the lack of romantic storyline in recent months, particularily since the chance of Buffy doing some kind of guest appearance was knixed . The demographic they are trying to reach likes quirky writing, interesting characters and storylines but always with some romantic potential or sexual tension. It doesn't always have to be the main storyline, but it needs to be there and it needs to involve 2 main characters that the audience is heavily invested in.

That's where DC created a problem. Instead of giving stories that illustrated the intense relationship Joey had with both Pacey and Dawson they had to demonize or completely ignore one for the other. I still think there was great potential for a continuing story that involved all 3. When those 3 had other relationships it would have gone a long way to have them interact together. With almost every character any romatic relationship outside the group was so isolated from the other characters that you just didn't care and you knew it was just a matter of time before they would be gone, so why invest in the character or relationship?
wbviewer is offline   Reply With Quote