View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 08:07 AM
Jerry D
Administrator

I completely disagree that Dawson was an unlikable character, or that James was an unlikable actor, and I definitely disagree that Dawson and Joey or James and Katie had no chemistry, but to each his or her own. Granted, I think that James’ disdain for the show and the stories shown through in his performances in the later seasons, but in the early seasons, I thought he did a great job playing Dawson. I think it’s sometimes difficult to view the early episodes of the show after knowing what comes later, but I think that James and Katie had plenty of chemistry in Seasons One and Two, and that James put a lot into playing Dawson in those early seasons, and I, for one could really identify with a lot of the things he did, especially in the way he went overboard to impress the object of his infatuation.

Granted, Dawson’s Creek was never realistic, but there was something idyllic about the setting for Season One that I found to be very sweet, and I loved the show back then not just because of Dawson and Joey, but because of the way that all of the characters interacted, especially Dawson and Pacey. I even enjoyed Pacey and Joey’s banter back then, because although they verbally sparred a lot, you could tell that deep down, they had an affection for one another that manifested itself in different ways in that season, and so I disagree that Dawson’s Creek was always only about the couples.

All that innocence and sweetness was lost in the later seasons, and it even started to get lost towards the end of Season Two, and Dawson’s Creek turned into a show devoted to the many loves of Joey Potter, and it simply wasn’t the same show. Oh well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote