View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 02:48 AM
joske
Extreme Fan

Almost every other shipper group took what they got as it came,...

Talking about P/Jers'reaction during S5 of which you were as big a part as any other P/Jer, but guess since you got "We won, yeah" everything is well...

it was the fact that some DJers assumed for so many years that they were getting their payoff that when it didnt come they cried foul as if they were promised the ending, noody promised anyone anything...

What about the

- You are going who I want
- Love ends and begins again
- we get the happy ending
- more than anything I want us to be together
- I've never loved anyone the way I love you
- you are my past, present and future
...and numerous others. We were promised either some realistic resolution or another fair chance for D/J at romance. Instead tptb had to twist themselves in finding the most contrived reasons for something we all know had to happen. In the end D/Jers got nothing from this show in the last 4 years except Coda and half an episode in the S6 premiere and the knowledge that 90% of the finale was written with a poor D/J ending.

Also

- P was shown and praised as the one who never looks back
- P in 519 said he never wanted to be involved again with someone who has a soulmate

As to P/J where did I say that P/J wasn't to happen? (If the show was doomed to last longer each fan knew there would be a P/J chapter)Where did I say that we wanted 6 seasons of D/J? I only said that good writers would resolve D/J and based on S1 and 2 which - may I remind you- is just as much DC history as S3 and 4 there was another chapter to write. Good writers wouldn't have neglected it or try to write it off. Now it came off as something they were afraid of going into because they lacked the talent to write it in connection with the show's history. Finding the most contrived situations to not have to write a chapter comes off as not WANTING to write it. As I said on the D/J thread everything in the show post S2 was forced to go away from what was expected and in the long run it became ridiculous and a slap in the face of millions of fans. There were lots of ways to write D/J post S2 without them being romantic; there were lots of ways to have them slowly getting back together in S6, even after the blow up in the premiere.

It's the lack of an authority in the writers'room who knew where to go with the story even if DC was not prolongued, that allowed writers to show their bias. Basically it comes down to one thing: the writers didn't know where to go with D/J given the history of S1 and 2. They were aware of their contrived ways to sell the P/J story but once they had built up a new fanbase (And destroyed the P/AN) they had to cater to them for as long as possible. Everything this show was once about was destroyed for the P/J storyline with the only hope that this fangroup would be big enough to keep ratings to a minimal. That's why they kept P/J as long in S4 and it showed their poverty in creative ideas because they didn't have any ideas beyond P/J. Once they gave up P/J, watching the battlefield they had left became very clear, it was dead. Nothing to continue that had been built up before, because there was nothing, they had neglected it to push their one story through. They always went for the instant story, never thought long run and to cover up their poor creativity they became sarcastic, made the characters into caricatures, recycled practically everything of before and the ratings dropped and dropped.

I am sure that even if they had resolved D/J or P/J completely there would always be enough viewers to tolerate the storylines to keep the show in the air and by not resolving them they made themselves more morons, but they were incapable of writing anything good.

I am not condemning the writers completely but I am condemning the persons who had control over the storylines all these years, the lack of a guidance long term.

Kevin should have known better and had them finish the crap they had made of his brainchild. If he were smart he would have seen how the new set of responsible ones for the show had been mocking him and his story for years. If ever he will watch S3-6 maybe he will be aware of the violation and realize what a stupid move he made to come back into something he must not have recognized anymore. What a few bucks can do to your pride.

Apparently S3 and on tried to cater to a completely different base than S1 and 2 (In part). That's why there will always be 2 DC's whether you like it or not; the breaking point after S2 was too obvious. And it gives satisfaction that millions of fans admired S1 and 2 and that DC for the majority of fans (Not the internet fans which IMO gave tptb the wrong indications) will always be remembered for those 2 seasons and for the depiction of an unique friendship that was D/J's. Post S2 the ratings were never as high except for 601/2 which was due to D/J as other premieres never gave those figures, not 401 and certainly not 501. Stubbornly despite those exceptional ratings comparable to the S1 ones, it was decided after 601/2 to go back to the non storylines. This tells me a lot about what happened behind the scenes and about writers'pride.

Jerry, amen. Like you I could relate and smile when I watched S1 and the majority of S2 for the recognizable stories, for the discussions D and J had and for the P/An story. I enjoyed the equal screentime to all characters, I enjoyed buildup and the character driven stories, I laughed at how D was able to scare Joey, I enjoyed the craftsmanship that went into storylines, I enjoyed watching D who selflessly helped J go through the hardships in an adult way, leaving the last decision to her like in The Beauty Contest or in Perfect Wedding. Like Jen said in the finale he was patiently waiting for the love to come like when he knew he couldn't force things after J broke up with him and waited till J kissed him in PW. Everyday I work with teenagers and so many situations were recognizable: the parental issues (Though luckily not as bad as in DC), the first loves, the growing up, the mistakes. Unfortunately it was all left behind once Kevin left and the depth on this show was lost forever in exchange of shallow hookups and plot driven instant stories where history was used when it fit the writers to be neglected the next episode when they wanted the audience to have amnesia. Like you said "Wasted potential".

[ 03-25-2004: Message edited joske ]

[ 03-25-2004: Message edited joske ]
joske is offline   Reply With Quote