View Single Post
Old 03-24-2004, 01:47 PM
newmom5497
Dedicated Fan

THanks for all of the insight Sugz.

My personal opinion is, when you have a tv series you have to "mix it up" or its just not going to stay interesting. As much as I am a D/J fan, I LOVED the whole "triangle" storyline and really enjoyed the Pacey-Joey romance. I don't think it would have stayed interesting if Dawson and Joey stayed together for the entire 6 years...BORING. I think the actors felt the same way..I remember Katie saying that on a TRL interview...that it would be boring if Dawson and Joey stayed together.

The only time I think the writers were at fault, and I don't even know if this is 100% true(Sugz, maybe you know the true story)...but I remember an interview with one of the cast members(James, I think) discussing Season 3...and I think he said that the new writers that were hired for the beginning of Season 3 didnt even like the show. So of course the writing is going to be radically different from the previous 2 seasons(and it showed). I believe those particular writers were fired by mid-Season 3...and thankfully the remainder of that Season was wonderful.

But beyond that, I would have to say that the writers/producers mostly did what they thought was best for the show. I'm sure that most of them wanted it to be successful, and I also would think that fan-input did have some influence as to storylines. BUt I don't think the writers/producers "toyed" with particular fan-bases just to tick them off. That just isnt smart business-practice.

I think my only "beef" with any particular writing choice was the finale. I honestly think that they should have spent more time writing it and it could have been better if the writing was more thought-out. I think even Kevin Williamson admits to that in the commentary.
newmom5497 is offline   Reply With Quote