View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Meyers
Dedicated Fan

I understand your frustration bluecastle -- VM brought me back to watching skating, and I've really enjoyed it, but I'm concerned with where things seem to be going and I'm not sure I want to be invested in other skaters down the line if it means I'm going to end up this disillusioned with the results!

I was "worried" all season about their costumes (not actually worried, but well, if I were to look back I bet I said more unflattering things than good things about their costumes this year) but I felt they really hit the ball out of the park for the Olympics. It was interesting, the FD, in finding a costume for it. The theme of their program was so open --that is, we knew what their program was about, but unlike their other FD's, this one really didn't "require" a certain look -- which made it both easier and more difficult, I imagine, to find the perfect dress. Eventually I was hoping for a strong colour, but in a very soft, flowing material and pattern. But I was very happy with the individual FD dress, and the contrast to the team event. I also really loved the SD dress in the individual event (already professed my love of the team one) and when I found out that it was the man who also designs for SOI, it suddenly made a lot of sense to me.
Danielle Earl Photography | Wonder | Photo 2
Especially in the top of the dress, you can see the similarities (though this was not the first time the red dress was used in a skating show; I remember Jennifer Robinson wearing it, I think.)

I was excited initially at the beginning of the season to see Tessa wearing her hair down for the FD, but I got over it when every photo of her for Skate Canada and TEB had hair sticking to her face. All I could imagine was this iconic Olympic photo at the end of their program, and she'd have this lock of hair in her eye, or her mouth. Her hair at GPF was a fun alternative, but I don't think it would have been right either. So, I was okay with the bun, though I've never been anti-bun like I know some are.

Skate Canada keeps posting new collages; I like their pic in this one.
Danielle Earl Photography | Wonder | Photo 2