View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Captain Riterra Smith
Obsessed Fan

Why I dig the Shamy

I guess first and foremost I ship Shamy because they remind me so much of myself, particularly in that they were misunderstood by their peers and struggled to get along with people who didn’t think like them. My own mother takes no crap but is as warm and loving as Mary Cooper. She also encourages me to date as much as Mrs. Fowler encouraged her daughter. Suffice to say I get Sheldon and Amy on a deep and profound level. I couldn’t help but root for them. What also captivated me was how at the moment they meet neither one is necessarily looking for their soulmate, they hardly believe in the notion of romantic love as we would know it. So this was something totally different and intriguing. How two people so dissimilar to the rest of their social group could find a connection so strong because they were so alike. I can say for sure that I’ve never seen two people conduct a relationship like this one, being so unfiltered they can't help but be honest with eachother which I consider the bedrock of a legitimate romance. After being isolated for so long they open up to one another so completely there is hardly a need to be physical to be intimate. I’ve shipped for years and years but no other characters I’ve watched can share a moment of emotional intimacy via Skype like Shamy. In the hands of lesser writers or lesser actors, I'm sure the Shamy could have fallen flat. Somehow I or we believe Sheldon and Amy are totally gone for one another without having to jump each other like rabbits. I dig the Shamy because their relationship feels real, feels secure and has so much going for it I can’t give another name to it but love. I could go moment by moment and explain how each episode has made a case for Shamy, but I don't have to. We've heard the arguments and the evidence is in. The verdict: Shamy is the real thing.