View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Whimsical Elf
Master Fan

Testimonial

Why I dig the Shamy

The Shamy have the sweetest, most unusual and most truthful relationship of any I’ve seen. I love the fact that neither of them were looking for a relationship, and it was, in many ways, something that just happened to them. As the audience, we see how much they benefit and support each other, and to watch them discover this themselves, and see them learning and finding their own way through this new experience, is tremendously sweet and charming.

I love the honesty of their interactions. Sheldon and Amy are themselves with each other, and there is no pretense. The relationship is special because it is theirs; they make their own rules and whatever happens between them is driven by their own genuine motives, not controlled by social pressures or cultural conventions. So as we watch them progress, they are continually surprising and unpredictable. The development is slow, but full of potential. It holds a fascination and sense of possibility that keeps us longing for more. As they become closer, there is a growing openness, too; those beautiful moments of intimacy through honesty are truly touching.

It was the Shamy, more than anything else, that got me hooked on The Big Bang Theory. For me, it is wonderful that there are characters like these and a relationship like theirs on television. They let us know that being weird or different does not equal being wrong. All the characters accept each other, and allow us to share that feeling of acceptance, no matter how odd we might be. Sheldon and Amy not only accept each other’s quirks, but like them, and love each other for them. As I love and care about both characters, and identify particularly with Amy in many ways, that simply makes me feel good.

These are some of the reasons why I’m digging the Shamy.