View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 AM
IloveJules!
Extreme Fan

This was a great huge post, Grace. Really loved reading all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiots (View Post)
I read this the day you posted this, Cris, the entire post, but I had to prepare myself for the replying. I have absolutely no idea how you manage to do these huge posts all at once! I usually need time to digest and process all that you say before I can even begin to start organizing my thoughts for a reply! I love reading and writing, but the thinking process is undesirably slow.
It's the same with me. I need some time to think about what I'm going to write. Those huge posts are often written in parts. A little bit in one day, another little bit in another day. It depends on how much free time I have.

Quote:
This Rass/Rachess/Bachel/Bassel (what's this ship's name?) couple can stand a chance.
It's Bachel. I don't think the writers want to go for a romance between them. It's Rachel and Miles for that. But just like you, I'd be happy with a friendship and maybe a storyline involving the son. I'd be happy if they have more moments together and just the two of them. I just love watching them together.

Quote:
I really don't care if Rachel ends up alone. There's no crime in not having a love interest.
And maybe Rachel still sees herself as a married woman. I'm not sure if the fact she still wears her wedding ring is meaningful. We didn't see much of what she's feeling about Ben and his death.

Yes, I don't think Bass hates Rachel. Of course Rachel hates him and she has the right to feel all that anger towards him because of everything he did. And he really needed Rachel after Miles abandoned him. She was filling that emotional void. Not only she was key to his plans, but also she was someone who knew the old Bass so he could be "himself" with her. As I said before, he could be vulnerable with her and that's something he couldn't be with his militiamen. And Bass is someone looking for understanding, acceptance and love, so I'm sure he wanted it from her. Rachel has her very own family so she didn't need him and she just wanted to get away from the militia. However while she was a prisoner, even though she didn't feel comfortable with the pressure for information or even his manipulation, there's a part of her that probably needed to see him so she would talk with someone.

But now that the prisoner/captor dynamic is over, I don't feel it is about them needing each other. What I loved the most about everything that happened inside the bunker and then later when they teamed up to save Charlie is that they can naturally help each other. Because they're too similar they can read each other. When Rachel forces Bass to reflect about the things he has done, she is responsible for making him show regret and she's helping him by doing that. When Bass shares with Rachel his feelings about suicide that came from his very own experience, he's making her realize she doesn't really want to die and he's helping her by doing that. And especially when Bass promises Rachel he will save Charlie. She trusts him and that's when Bass does something redeemable for the first time. Rachel allowed him to do that and she's helping him enormously. Because Bass saved Charlie, Rachel lets him go and that's something huge too because Rachel is letting him live. When he kept his promise, Bass made Rachel let go of one of her obsessions (kill him) and he's helping her one more time too. That was really great to see.

Quote:
Which, sidetracking a little, do you think Bass would really have killed her even though Dr. Jaffe already promised to help the militia?
This is a great question. I must say I think I never wondered about it before because when Rachel stabs Dr. Jaffe and says "now you need me". This is simply too shocking and awesome that I guess I never stopped to think if Bass would actually kill her (and Danny) if she hadn't done it.

That's hard to say, but I feel he wouldn't kill her the same way he can't kill Miles. I think he freaked out and got so mad (and usually he's not like that with Rachel) because it was her of all the people that was building a bomb to kill him and they had a deal and he felt she betrayed him and there's a part of him that wanted to trust her. I genuinely think he wouldn't have the courage to kill Rachel and Danny. He made Strausser point a gun at Charlie and Danny so Rachel would choose which one Strausser would kill if Rachel didn't cooperate and then when Rachel says she will help him Bass says a good hostage works every time. That's important because it shows he never had the intention to kill Charlie or Danny. Bass was sure Rachel wouldn't let them die and Rachel would end up helping him.

Now after Rachel gets out of the militia and especially after Miles refused to go back and said Bass meant nothing to him, Bass started to spiral into full rage and paranoia mode and he didn't care about anyone, just revenge and power. Just take a look at what he did with Emma. So I guess if Rachel (or even Miles) died, he wouldn't care. He would react like he reacted to Jeremy's death and he would just get crazier. But I believe Bass himself wouldn't have the courage to kill Rachel at all. The same with the rest of her family (Charlie, Danny and Ben).

Quote:
Btw, do we happen to have a picture of the room Rachel was kept in before Bass upgraded her accommodations? That, and do we know how and where she was interrogated?
I don't think so. We never got to see the place Rachel was kept as a prisoner when Miles was part of the militia. He tied her to a chair to torture her inside one of those militia cabins. But it happened right after Rachel gave herself up to the militia. So it's hard to say if that's where she was being kept.

With Bass she was interrogated inside her own room. I believe she never left that room while she was his prisoner. And she was tortured once by Strausser. I think that was the only time Bass decided to torture her. It was when he lost his patience with her. At least it looked like Strausser was torturing her for the first time because he was apologizing for what he was doing. He wouldn't do it if it was the gazillionth time he was torturing her. Or would he?

Quote:
With regards to the grenade incident, Bass explained it in the bunker about how people wish to off themselves and at the last minute realizes they don't really want to. I think that was part of it. Even Rachel said herself that she didn't really want to die. She wanted to see her daughter again. We would never know for sure if she was telling the whole truth, if that was the only reason for not throwing it, but I do believe that was part of it.
Yes, I totally agree. He knew exactly what she was feeling.

And everything you said about Bass. No, Miles never tried to talk with Bass. At least it was never showed, so it seems he just realized Bass was getting out of control and he decided to get rid of his best friend.

I usually like all the characters too. On Lost and Game of Thrones and V. But with Miles I just can't. I tried. But I can't. Sometimes when he's with Charlie and Nora, he's likable.

Quote:
We've yet to see him hurt her out of anger. Even in the bunker, his anger was directed to the inanimate objects, not to her. That's why I highly think he doesn't want to kill her at all or even harm her.
This. So much. But there is something important we didn't see yet. Apparently Bass faked Rachel's death. Miles said he thought she was dead and that's why he left her with Bass. I'm very curious to know why and how it happened.

Quote:
I do think it's a combination of both. Hey, kill two birds with one stone. But apparently, that guilt and vengeance still has this obstacle in their path. It's called attraction to Bass.
Like I said, sometimes I feel she seems a bit attracted to Bass, but no, she's probably playing games with him. It's friendship. Their past friendship. She entered the tent to show him it was her (his former friend Rachel) who wanted to kill him and maybe because she feels she deserves to die as much as Bass too, but I believe there's a part of her that is mad because it was him that killed Danny. Once she said "we used to be friends, if that means anything to you". I guess it means something to her. If it was Tom, she would have killed him as easily as she killed Strausser, IMHO.

Quote:
I remember that scene, and I was impressed despite knowing it's just outright manipulation. (Or is it more than that? ) I do think there's a little part of him, even though his main motive is to get her to do what he wants, that does want to please her, like you said. There is this sincerity that I thought he had in that scene. The look in his eyes... (or maybe I'm just David-admiring. )

It's manipulation, but I also feel he really means it. Because family means everything to Bass, so I feel he really thinks Rachel can be happy again now that her son is near her. He understands what she's feeling. And yes, there's a part of him that wants her appreciation and wants her. I mean, if she allowed him, I'm sure he would go for her. When Rachel says "you have me". He knows she's playing with him, but the look on his face is like he wishes it was true. And when she gets closer to him it's almost like she is going to kiss him. That's the moment he gets lost on her. It's like he's hoping she actually kisses him and she doesn't and calls him a "son of a bitch" and he gets mad and leaves the room.

I watched this window scene way too many times.

Just love the look on his face here. The way he looks at her.