View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 05:10 AM
MistyMountainHop
Fan Forum Hero

It's been about 24-hours since my last post, so I'm writin' a new one here.

You know how we always lament the T7S DVDs not giving us deleted scenes? Well, I found some. Tuck in for a cool post.

Okay, so most of us know that the UK’s version of That ’70s Show (titled Days Like These) is … less than stellar. But it was shot using the original scripts with some minor dialogue changes to make it (sound) more British. Before now, I’ve only ever watched bits and pieces of the pilot. But I decided to watch the other episodes, and I was excited to see scenes that had to be in the original U.S. versions but were cut.

Let's start with “That Disco Episode".

"That Disco Episode" happens to be one of my favorites, so it’s burnt into my brain. The line deliveries in the UK’s version are so wildly different than the original’s, particularly Hyde with Donna at the disco. Also different is the camera work and editing (not nearly as good). The original’s creates and compliments the tension between Hyde and Donna during their dance scene.

The UK’s version tries its best to copy the original, but that’s what it feels like: a cheap copy. Jackie and Fez’s dance choreography at the disco is the same but not done nearly as well as Wilmer and Mila’s performance.

But what’s worth watching for are the scenes that were likely cut from the original (U.S.) version of the episode.

Apparently, one deleted scene involved Eric and Kelso watching Donna and Hyde dance together. I always wondered what Eric’s thoughts were about that, and UK’s episode fills in that blank. Eric wasn’t happy.

Eric [watching Hyde and Donna dance]: Well, this is great. This is really a lot of fun. This is definitely what I came here for.
Kelso: Man, where did [Hyde] learn to dance like that?
Eric: I don’t know, but for some reason, he reminds me of my dad.

---

Next up is "The Pill".

Kelso planned on asking Mr. Burkhart for his blessing to propose to Jackie. This dialogue has been British-icized, so you’ll have to make your own guesses as to how the U.S.’s version originally went in some places.

Hyde [to Kelso]: Okay, so what’re you gonna say?
Kelso: Uh, right. Mr. Burkhart — sir — I’ve had my oats, Jackie’s a bit off,* but I’m willing to pay the price.
Hyde: Okay, that’s good, that’s good. But try to think of it a bit more from his point of view. He needs to be reassured. Remember, this is his baby we’re talking about.
Kelso: Right. … Should I tell him she’s dynamite in the sack?
Hyde: Look, Fez, you play Mr. Burkhart here. Now give him [Kelso] a hard time.
Fez: Very well. “What makes you think you can marry my daughter? You’re a low-down filthy man.”
Kelso: Oh, please, Mr. Burkhart, let me marry her.
Fez: "No! You have no appreciation for her fine qualities: her smile, her ears, the way her hair flows on a summer evening."
Kelso: Hey, I like her ears, and I wanna marry her.
Fez: "No, my mind is made up! I want her to marry someone from a cold and snowy land (like the UK’s version of Fez)."
Kelso: Take it easy there, mate.
Fez: "Do not tell me to take it easy. I’m forty-three-years-old, and I have a big mustache.”
Kelso [looking away, confused]: What?

*The words in italic may be wrong.

---

"Grandma's Dead"

The episode “Grandma’s Dead” (one of my favorites) originally had a circle scene! How cool. It took place after Red gives Eric a beer (to drink) for his black eye. Here’s the transcript from Days Like These:

Hyde: Whoa, I feel extremely different. Thanks for sharing. [Hyde looks to his right. Seated next to him is Red’s brother Marty]
Marty: This is what it’s all about, isn’t it? Hanging loose, rapping. This is what parents just don’t understand.
Kelso: Eric, who’s the old bloke?
Eric: You know, lads, I’m thinking I’m making a big mistake here. I’m sitting with you and my uncle Marty on the morning of my grandmother’s funeral. [He laughs]
Fez: In my village, we believe that if you are with someone when they die, their spirit will be with you always.
Bernice Forman [with a cigarette in her hand]: Sort of a spiritual hitchhiker, man. Cool…*

*Words in italic may be inaccurate.

It makes sense to me that Marty would smoke up with the guys — and that his pot would be of a different strain than what Hyde usually gets.

Another deleted scene. Bob and Midge speak to Bernice in her coffin.

Bob [waving]: Hello, Mrs. Forman.
Midge: We really didn’t know you that well.
Bob: And I’m sure the things we heard about you weren’t all true.
Midge: But if they were, then have a nice time in hell.

There was also a will-reading scene (but I imagine the U.S.’s version was different than the UK’s).

---

"Sunday, Bloody Sunday"

There’s an oft-repeated debate over who gives Kitty the cigarette in “Sunday, Bloody Sunday”. I recently read on a years’ old thread on this board that Hyde’s indeed the one who gave Kitty the cig, but either the director or producers wanted to make it more ambiguous, so they recolored Hyde’s sleeve. That’s why it looks pinkish-purple instead of blue.

Now, I’ve never had any doubt as to who handed Kitty the cigarette. I recognize Hyde’s hand. It wears Hyde’s eyeball ring, and the shirt sleeve looks just like Hyde’s except for the odd coloring.

But for those of you who still have doubts, the UK’s version of the episode confirms Hyde’s the one who gives Kitty the cig. There’s no recoloring of his distinctive sleeve in the Days Like These episode. He’s sitting significantly closer to Kitty than the other characters, and his arm extends from below Kitty, where he’s sitting.

Check it out for yourself at 21:00-minute mark.

---

I still have to go through "That '70s Pilot" and "Eric's Birthday" to see if there's anything interesting there. I haven't found any of the other episodes yet, either. But if I have anything interesting to report, I'll do so in this thread.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 01-22-2018 at 07:24 AM