View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 07:16 PM
denise19
Passionate Fan

Got this from DI.:

In light of the latest vitriol against Ben Affleck(and to the extend the MOS sequel), I want to share this very,very true post about the ridiculous hysteria of comic book movie fans:

Quote:
We are the greatest super-villains of all time.

We all need to calm down & take a deep breath. I’m not going to deny that I have some heated discussions and fervent opinions regarding comic book films but I’m noticing things around me and I don’t like what I see. As a comic book movie fan, I have to say that we are the most unfair, overly judgmental, narrow-minded, violent, relentlessly critical lot of individuals EVER. It’s hard for comic book movies to be successful or enjoyed anymore because of the bleeding heart fanatics who swear that they know what everyone wants to see, who should be cast in what role, and who should direct what film. We seem to be under the impression that we know what’s best & that we are capable of dictating how these fictional pieces of work should be delivered to the public.
Before films even make it to the big screen, they’re torn to shreds by the masses of people who thrive on bashing movies and their actors. YOU, the fans are the ones who make it hard for us other fans to enjoy these films. Have Marvel & DC always made excellent decisions regarding the making of their films? No. However, no matter what they do, they’re damned if they do & they’re damned if they don’t. There are always the people who consider themselves certified critics and experts on the source material. If you don’t like a film or the people cast in it, don’t go see it, don’t acknowledge it, don’t open your mouths. I’m not going to judge comic book movies anymore until AFTER I’ve seen them and all of the hard work people spend their lives putting into them! I won’t be one of you relentless fans anymore. We tend to forget that the film industry is a BUSINESS in which cinematic works are delivered to get audiences interested in various properties. Die hard comic book fans have been led to believe that movies have to meet their expectations and be made the way they envision them. New franchises, reboots, and versions of timeless characters emerge everyday which is a beautiful thing because there is literally a hero out there for everyone. Maybe we all have a different vision of Superman, Spider-Man, or various other characters but that doesn’t mean we have to scorch and discriminate against the versions that don’t line up with what we expect. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We can like what we like and dislike what we don’t. The issue is HOW we express those opinions. More often than not, extreme comic book fans scoff at every decision made by the studios without merit or without a solid and grounded reason.

This recent casting of Ben Affleck as Batman serves as a perfect example of how over-the-top fans can be and how they blow things entirely out of proportion. Really? A petition in the works to be submitted to Obama to ban Ben Affleck from playing the role? What’s next? Death threats? Who the hell do you guys think you are?! If you’re so vehemently against this film being made in the manner in which it is, GO MAKE YOUR OWN MOVIE! I’ll end my rant with this….Does anyone remember the reactions to Heath Ledger being cast as Joker in The Dark Knight?
credit:
www.chanmanthe2nd.tumblr.com

So trueee, typical destructive fandom reactions!