View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Inesal
Dedicated Fan

The good points outweighed the problematic ones which may be a sign that Degrassi is back on track.

At first, I was disappointed to see Eli still around. I wonder if the show was aware there would be some eyerolling at a character who, while intriguing, has simply received way too much airtime and whose time to exit the show is very much here. Hence the Clare has cancer storyline. After all how could Eli not be present with development occurring. I certainly wouldn't want it handled Skins style (in which the lover of the person with cancer is given a scant 3 minutes of screentime). The sequence where Eli arrives at the hospital is, no matter how predictable, very affecting. Also Chambers is one of the best male actors the series has had. So I am giving this part a pass even if it's machinations may be more about Eli staying around more than anything else.

The loss of Tori is immense considering having already suffered the loss of Cam. This is beyond me. The show introduced 5 new characters around the same time. And yet the two strongest actors, Steele and Everett, have been lost. One due to a storyline that ended up being poorly handled and one probably due to the way the show inexplicably wasted her talent. It makes sense that Tristan and Maya's BFF relationship seems a tenuous one. The actress who plays Zoe can act but she isn't given the strongest material. Miles is the poor little rich boy archetype down to the mean Dad. It is too much of a stale characterization to earn any interest from me. I also hope they start focusing more on Tristan's romantic life. I know he liked that one boy but he has been more the gay best friend. Hopefully the show can do more with the character. Winston had too little to do to make an impression. The best scenes were between Maya, Katie, and their Mom. The scenes worked.

However, far and away, the most fascinating and richest storyline involved Imogen, Adam and Becky. Even more important it was revolutionary.

Imogen is pansexual, an exciting revelation that makes her possibly the first true pansexual character on a televisions show. There have been persons who have had relationships with men, women and trans individuals. However in those cases (ex. Jenny Schechter and Degrassi's own Fiona Coyne) the individual was on a journey to identifying as a lesbian. With Imogen, she makes it clear yet again - it is about the person. It is also in Imogen's character, based on her behavior towards Eli, to hone in on someone specific and cling to that person. Imogen is very much a lonely person. She has always been the outsider and her reaction to Fiona going overseas was typical Imogen. That she helped Fiona came about only because she realized to love Fiona meant making it up for her mistake. Yet Imogen knew a long distance romance is not something she can handle. She needs a person who is always available. Adam makes sense. He was in Whisperhug. She finds Adam cute (a part subtly played when she mentions another girl desiring Adam in the band competition episode). And Adam is a friend.

It also makes sense that Imogen would not show the integrity needed to stay away from someone else's lover. Her fear of loneliness overwhelms other considerations. Hopefully this storyline will be about Imogen, after probably making mistakes, coming to understand she needs to look within instead of looking to others. Becky is sharp. Not all teens that age would pick up on Imogen's manipulation (almost trying to get Becky into considering cheating on Adam so she can have Adam). Becky immediately recognized Imogen wants her boyfriend and understandably is concerned.

Adam meanwhile is torn. He finds Imogen attractive and Becky is gone. However he is in love with Becky. His desire to get Imogen on another team is more about controlling his own desires, which he senses he is vulnerable to, than meeting Becky's requirements. Look for Imogen to play on Adam's fears of Becky hooking up with another boy and make a play.

It doesn't hurt that there is chemistry palpable between all 3 queer characters (even Becky and Imogen though Becky is a straight identified girl). My only concern here is it could be used as a contrivance so Becky could date another boy longterm. If ever a relationship would best be served as a longterm one (even if it is on off) it would be Becky and Adam. Plus no couple sells attraction (down to the kissing) better than these two.

Last edited by Inesal; 07-12-2013 at 10:15 PM
Inesal is offline   Reply With Quote