View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Opalcat
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Else Matters (View Post)
Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler (and writer/producer David Hudgins) about the best marriage on television

+
They did an interview with Connie's friend Mike Ausiello that goes over this and to my mind is classic Mr & Mrs. Coach:
Quote:
What do you guys remember about your first meeting?
BRITTON: Kyle has a different memory entirely of the first time we met.
CHANDLER: I met you on the street corner, and we went and had sushi that day. That’s the first day we met.
BRITTON: No. No. No. We didn’t have sushi until the night after we shot. The first day we met was in the first scene. I came to your trailer and said, “Hey, I’m going to be playing your wife.”
CHANDLER: We hadn’t shot yet by then.
BRITTON: Yeah, we did.
CHANDLER: No, no. We had not worked together yet.
BRITTON: I think we had.
CHANDLER: Well, I think that you’re crazy.
BRITTON: How did we meet on a street corner? So we called each other and said, “Hey, let’s go have dinner at Kenichi”?
CHANDLER: That sounds about right.
BRITTON: No. We went and had that one scene together and I knocked on your door and said, “Hey, I’m going to be playing your wife.”
CHANDLER: This could go on forever. The battery on my phone’s not going to last. We’ll just agree to disagree. But I’m right.
Let’s forget about the specifics…
CHANDLER: I paid for lunch. I know that.
BRITTON: It was dinner! It was dinner!
What were your first impressions?
BRITTON: He was sitting in his trailer, listening to some goofy radio station, and I think we immediately started making funny jokes or something. I thought he was goofy.
CHANDLER: My immediate reaction on the street corner where we met the first time was…
BRITTON: [Laughs hard]
CHANDLER: …it took about two or three minutes to get a feel for what kind of person she was just because I think it’s safe to say we’re both people…
BRITTON: [Deadpans] I think it is safe to say we’re both people.
CHANDLER: …we’re both people persons. I can gab with pretty much anyone. I think you pretty much can too, Connie. Once we started talking just for a few minutes, we started kidding around with each other. It became obvious it was going to be a lot of fun. Connie has no bulls—. It’s all out in front. She’s a very sweet person, very intelligent, very witty, and loves to play the fool. As soon as I found someone else who liked to play the fool as much as I do, I think we both knew pretty soon it was going to be a fun relationship.
BRITTON: That’s what I meant by goofy. As opposed to if I had walked in and he had been some sort of arrogant, wanting to be bigger and fancier than he was. He’s the most authentic, real person, and you get that right off the bat, of course.
In the oral history of the show Peter Berg talked about how horrified he was when he found out that Connie and Kyle had decided to drive to Austin from LA together. He was positive that they'd be sleeping together and thus Kyle'd be cheating on his wife within a couple of days and he told Connie this. Her response: "You're an idiot."