View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM
NocturnalCouchPotato
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
After posting in the Cam/Maya thread I got to wondering...

What unhappy ending have you been strangely satisfied with?

I figure this question could easily fit in here since it usually ties in with a Degrassi issue. The first thing that comes to my mind is Rick in season 4. I could kiss TPTB's feet for bringing him back after the flop (or uh, bounce) that was the dating abuse storyline in season 3. I'm still in awe of the bullying that lead to the shooting storyline. It fit so flawlessly and brought Rick introspection from the viewers. Call me sick and weird but I feel like it gave the character redemption even though he did the unthinkable or unforgivable. Don't get me wrong...Rick didn't go out a hero. But you really got the sense of a guy with no way out. And I love how plenty of the main characters were the ones who pushed him over the edge or did nothing. TPTB even managed to make Dan Woods aka Mr. Raditch wanting to exit the series fit in so we wouldn't even question it. That whole storyline arc was so thoughtful!
Yeah, it's weird how Rick could've been another random reoccurring character from season 3, like Kendra, Chris, or Towerz, yet he came back for one of the strongest storylines. I just remember cringing throughout his entire storyline, from Mercy Street until Sean finally pulled the trigger. I guess it makes Terri's storyline worth watching.

As for me...
What unhappy ending have you been strangely satisfied with?

I guess I was satisfied with Cam's suicide. In an in-show perspective, obviously, it was a very tragic event and situation, but I like how it did a lot of things that the show hasn't really done in a long time. It "went there"- no walls were stabbed or cars were crashed. There was a Greek Chorus of opinions in that one scene where Becky thought suicide was selfish, Connor didn't get why they cancelled it, and so on. It got the fans talking. It didn't create that much hype from the media and there were some lackluster plots afterwards, but Bittersweet Symphony was executed (no pun intended) pretty well.