View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Meyers
Dedicated Fan

The whole cast. Yes, Tessa's there too, though it feels like I'm playing an SOI version of 'Where's Waldo'.

https://www.facebook.com/starsonice

SOI ends tonight... 1. once a couple of days pass and the majority of the tweets, pictures, and videos are out, what on earth will we talk about? and 2. Scott's shirts don't unbutton in their two numbers, so what will he do to celebrate their final show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris9918
That is a really awesome number. The spotlighted introduction for each skater at the beginning is a great addition to the program. How cool must it be for everyone in the crowd to watch those five skate together like that? Hello, exceptionaltalent!gasm. And how much fun must that have been to choreograph? I also love the Alice and Wonderland-like, whimsical theme of the choreography, costumes, and layout in the opening number. In general, the varying ways in which umbrellas are incorporated into the group numbers to correspond with Kurt's iconic "Singin' in the Rain" number seems very well done.

I think the media they've put out is great, but I wish Stars On Ice had also released more behind-the-scenes video (via the official twitter or facebook pages) of the skaters rehearsing. Not that anything like that is required of their producers or anything (and to their credit they show small bits with interviews in the television special), it's just that for purely selfish reasons I love to watch the cast train and get a glimpse of the creative process of the show's creators/choreographers (kudos to Buttle in particular). Oh, and speaking of Buttle, I think if I was a producer I'd probably put a camera on Jeff and Tessa for a designated afternoon or have one follow them if/when they're around one another backstage because, if past footage of them together is anything to go by, I'm guessing they might do or say something hilarious.

Meyers, thanks for posting all of your competition/show photos. There are so many great shots I hesitate to pick out one or two as favorites, but I've gotta say I found this one amusing. I think it's because the skaters sitting on the boards look like kids who got in trouble and were put in timeout by their teacher or something, haha.
One thing I loved about the last couple of years of SOI was that the group choreography basically acknowledges that the skaters in this group are truly able to handle complex choreography. Unlike a gala at a competition, where the choreography often is simplified or has a familiar feel to the group stuff because they only have an hour to learn it and no time to perfect it (which can be fun anyway), the group numbers here are like, 'you're the best of the best, and you should skate like it'. The World champions number was terrific in part because there were just enough of them that they had a group feel, but few enough that they could really pick up some speed, and of course, they really are the best of the best. Their edges, their musicality... all awesome. The opening number... quirky, unusual body positions and choices, great costumes... and yeah, still my only 'complaint' is that I never got to fully appreciate it because I couldn't watch everyone at the same time (unlike the world champions number). The Come Together routine, it was good... but the other group numbers were just enough better that it gets overshadowed! And the final number -- so complicated, with not just the skating but the corresponding arm/umbrella movements. Sorry, I'm rambling.

You're welcome for the photos... I do just love to take them (obviously)... this particular photo's amusement factor was pretty much my reason for including it. More often I'm picking pictures based on a certain amount of entertainment factor, but the row of them all just sitting, not talking, the tired/bored/daydreaming expressions, just makes me laugh.

Last edited by Meyers; 05-10-2013 at 03:22 PM