View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 AM
science girlfriend
Elite Fan

Plays @ Tribeca

Joe Reid's Festival Diary, Day 1: Before Midnight | Tribeca

Quote:
The 2013 Tribeca Film Festival is not only my first as a Tribeca blogger, but my first TFF of any kind. I am wildly excited to experience so many movies, talks, and general cinematic revelry all in the span of a week and a half, and even more excited to share those experiences with the Tribeca audience.

Thursday's TFF activities started off slowly, but I managed to take in three really excellent films, each one offering something slightly different, depending on what you're looking for, so listen close.

Before Midnight was probably my most anticipated movie of the whole festival, so I was quite happy to have gotten it out of the way the earliest. Like many of you probably have been, I've been hooked on the trio of director Richard Linklater and actors Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy since their spellbinding 1995 film Before Sunrise. The sequel came in 2004, reuniting transient lovers Jesse and Celine and leaving things on quite the ambiguous note ...
Now, after another nine years have passed, we get to meet up with Jesse and Celine again, and the experience is both like reuniting with old friends and also very much like meeting them for the first time. Once again, Linklater, Hawke, and Delpy show they have a way with lived-in conversations and situations that tell lifetimes worth within conversations that meander around little cobblestoned Greek alleys. The audience I was with fell back into their old rhythms so easily, and for a movie that hits many poignant notes, it's also incredibly funny. Not one to be missed, obviously.

(Screenings of Before Midnight are in rush, but read up on our rush line policy here.)