View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 AM
Lionne
Loyal Fan

Results from the Monster Isolation Quiz: I originally thought that there was a possible 122 pts to get out of this quiz, but I was wrong. (I thought that if all answers over 95 were a solid A+, then with 122 pts possible everyone would get A's. I was apparently wrong about this.) Ruby exceeded expectations and earned bonus points for some of her answers, and while Stardust missed some questions, she made up for it on the essay question, her answer to "what Sheldon learned this episode" earning her 26 points out of what I thought was a possible 10. Gold stars to both of you ladies.

What we have here are the total points earned by everyone who took the test. A score of 60 I believe earns you a D-. Sadly, falling under 60 is an F.

Sorry, Rae. You know I still love you. You just need some extra tutoring?

Final scores:

Ruby - 129
Stardust - 120
Captain - 109
Marisol - 96
FoxPhile - 60
Tijopi11 - 60
Rae - 58

Final note on the quiz: I gave 8 points if you managed to mention arachnids, 10 if you managed to identify that Jim Parsons did a skit with a Spider on Sesame Street to teach the meaning of the word arachnid. However, the full answer, which no one got, required identifying who Arachne was, and who and why her name is the basis for the word "arachnid." So the answer is:

Arachne - Athenian weaver who boasted that her weaving was better than the Greek Goddess Athena herself. Athena challenged her to a weaving competition, the punishment being death if the young girl lost. Arachne's tapestry was indeed impressive, except for the fact that it mocked all of the Greek Gods, depicting them as drunken, lustful slobs. Athena admitted that Arachne's tapesty was indeed better woven than hers, but it's subject matter offensive. And so, because Athena could not kill Arachne due to her winning the competition, she turned her into a spider with immortal life, destined to weave her webs evermore across the earth.

The name of this girl, Arachne, is the basis for the word "arachnid," meaning "insect with 8 legs." When Jim Parsons went to Sesame Street, he taught the meaning of the word in a skit with a blue spider muppet.

Arachne --> Arachnid ---> Spider ---> Sesame Street ----> Educational sketch on the word "arachnid" ---> Jim Parsons

And there you go - 6 degrees of Separation between Arachne and Jim Parsons.

In any case, I hope you had fun with the quiz. If so, I'll do another one next week.

Last edited by Lionne; 03-05-2013 at 04:32 AM