View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM
White_Witch
Passionate Fan

A bit more or a different version if you preffer

I hate the word “sidekick” and I’m sure Martin does as well because Watson is so much more than that. He’s his righthand man, his Boswell, his blogger.

On Martin and Benedict being so good at the first script reading – had he done anything with him before?

No nothing. I read in the auditions. We met some amazing actors who would have bought something extraordinary to the part but when Martin walked in I just felt my game raise. I completely did and what he has which is no small talent and has been rightly recognised not just by awards but also by the critics, he can ground this extraordinary extravagant character and can give it a realistic context to something which is otherwise quite fantastical. It’s not like he has super powers but there is something other about him which Martin completely levels.

It’s so rich to play off as an actor as well. Because so often Sherlock is off on his own tangents so it’s not the usual thing of listening and responding so it can often be that I’m speaking for a half page of dialogue and Martin will just go “gives wry look”

where I’ve got that rat a tat tat dialogue with Martin where I’ve got that flying dialogue with him.

I like the Christmas party – I like the music, I like what Martin’s doing there

I couldn’t see Martin’s face. He was just a little blob on the pavement waiting for a bigger blob to land by his feet. That was really wonderful to see what he had done on the other end of that phone conversation. I could hear, we were wired so we could hear each other speak in real time. So I could hear him but to see it was really really moving and seeing him in shock afterwards…it’s ridiculous but it actually made me cry.

Are you more of a Watson or a Sherlock in real life?

Watson. I’m much more of a follower. Martin has much more intuitive brilliance than I have which would make him an asexual sociopath. Not that Martin Freeman is an asexual sociopath but he’s just far quicker at thinking than I am.

From Cumberbatchweb