View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 AM
sofiab
Fan Forum Hero

Another new interview.

Quote:
Anna Torv talks ‘Fringe’ motherhood & final season relationships

In the fourth season of Fringe, we learned about, and immediately met, Etta (Georgina Haig), Peter (Joshua Jackson) and Olivia’s (Anna Torv) daughter. But the kicker was she was already all grown up and pretty much unknown to Peter, who hadn’t seen her since she as a baby. In the fifth and final season, it is Olivia’s turn to have a reunion with her little girl, but standing side by side the actresses look like sisters, not two generations of family. It’s an adjustment for the audience, as once again the season reboots the relationships, but it was an adjustment for Torv, as well!

"We've been doing this for quite a long time now, so any chance you get to sort of shake things up is great, Torv said when LA TV Insider Examiner caught up with her on the Vancouver set* of Fringe.

Obviously the hardest thing for Olivia to get used to in 2036 is the fact that she's working alongside her daughter who she didn't get to watch grow up, and who knows the world so kind of naturally falls into the leader position in a lot of circumstances. So, talking specifically about the relationship with Etta, though, Torv admitted that as fun as it always is to bring in new people and mix things up, this is one that poses a new challenge for her as an actress, which adds an extra layer to the work.

"I'm finding it really difficult to navigate," Torv shared about the mother/daughter relationship.

"You sort of want to be playing this mother daughter kind of thing and the unconditional love that comes along with that, but in the same breath, it's a completely unknown person that you haven't grown up with and that you don't know. And she's an adult woman now; she's not a teenager who still needs that coddling! So I've found it's been actually really tough."

Peter and Etta, per Torv, have fallen into more of the "daddy's little girl" dynamic, as the man who thought he lost her forever finally has her back. Peter would stop at nothing to find Etta, but Jackson said it's kind of a "miracle or whatever you believe in" that he actually managed to, even at this point, so late in her life.

Olivia and Etta, though, are bound to have a more "complex, complicated relationship," though, partially because Olivia may still be in a bit of shock and disbelief that this woman will be standing in front of her.

"I keep trying to look at her and every now and then pick the moments where I see the little girl or her smell or some little thing that she does that's really familiar, but then apart from that, really treat her like a person I'm getting to know. Olivia's not the warmest of people anyway!" Torv smiled.
source

Last edited by sofiab; 09-28-2012 at 09:42 AM