View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM
mellifluouscloud
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
I do hope for Clare's sake that this storyline isn't just done wrapped up in neat bow. Waterfalls was so good because it felt raw and real. Sabotage and Scream a little less so. I don't really want fantasy justice for Clare. I think that it's much better to focus on the emotional angle and that's what was missing from these last four episodes.
I don't think it's over because the show left us on a sort of open-ended note. If I'm remembering this correctly. Didn't that other girl want to come forward with her story and talk to Clare about it? If there's two of them, they might have a case. So I actually assumed this storyline would continue... I suppose it's just as likely that Degrassi could just drop it.

I think it would be really cool if Clare could bring awareness to the issue through her writing. I think this would be more powerful than her seeking "justice." On the other hand, now that Degrassi isn't consuming my thoughts 24/7 and I'm sort of removed from it I'm really not opposed to Asher being "exposed" somehow. Especially with the help of this other ex-intern. That would be a good front page story.

But it would be especially interesting for Clare to find out that even "justice" comes with a price... think about it. Think about the rape culture that we live in. Think of all the victim-blaming that goes on. Imagine if there was an article in the paper exposing Asher, who is subsequently fired, but Clare's identity and the other girl's identity are kept secret. Now imagine that the article is also available online and open for comments. What would those comments say? Probably half or a majority of them would be blaming these teenage "****s" who were probably "asking" for it. Right? This is the messed-up world we live in. And imagine that Clare saw those comments. It would probably send her spiraling out of control all over again.

Ultimately, Clare may be better off if she finds a constructive way to move on, even though it sucks to know he got away with it.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote