View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 02:32 PM
canadablue
Part-Time Fan

Ok, managed to get to the EX yesterday, had a wonderful time! Here is the report for my TS Live Experience #2 (and #3 )

I hadn't planned to see both shows, but after the first, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it hadn't occurred to me that this would be absolutely necessary, especially when I was staying until the evening anyway. So I got to see it from two completely different angles, judges' side close and the other side farther back. There's no lineup (it's in the arena where the Leafs farm team plays, so there's lots of room), but it was at least half-filled each time so if you want the best seats, go at least a half hour beforehand.

Sorry I come bearing no pictures or video, we have not the technology. I won't bother with a rundown of the whole show since that full video is available now, except to make a few notes. If you've watched the videos, you see there is a bed on stage in the opening number. I couldn't really hear but someone near me said something like "oh is it for TS? they're all lovely dovey". They certainly upheld their reputation! As Meyers mentioned, the next number is to Money so there was a brief cognitive dissonance issue. The Uprising number with the leather acrobat guy, while impressive, was my least favourite part. I just kept thinking meh, I'd really rather see Shawn Sawyer. And the trampolines part at the end was SO GOOD, by far the best part other than TS. It was such a cute idea and they had so much polish and trust as a team.

So, TS....it's still a little shocking that they're real people, though not as much as the first time. Tessa is so gorgeous, I really think she might be the most beautiful person I've ever seen in real life. Scott's very attractive too haha. This was WAY better than SC'11 (TS-wise, not whole-experience-wise), because instead of a rumba-filled SD and a warmup of same, this was just them doing what they love, showing off all those signature moves I have watched a hundred times. They are so incredibly good and it's completely captivating when you watch them. I'm glad I waited a week to go because their numbers have real polish now, I would say the only thing is that about just 5/8 of the ice surface was being used, so they didn't always have enough speed for the lifts to be as completely smooth as in competition.

Tessa is an unbelievably great dancer. Scott was definitely right there with her, but... if the average skater does their ex numbers at 80%, Scott does them at 95% and Tessa does them at 110%. I'm sure he just prefers competing, and maybe can't let loose as much when he needs to stay focused on keeping her safe (^as we can see is occasionally necessary). But that girl, from her ponytail to her toepicks, every muscle she moves is in time and in character. She adds so many little details, and it's so REAL, not just acting. I've loved ANMHE from the first unveiling, but it is easily one of my absolute favourites now. Very special day

[and for anyone who's interested:
I'd never been to the EX before, and wasn't overly impressed. Going for the skating and a concert it was an AMAZING deal, but in other ways it's a real ripoff. If you want rides and carnival games, go to Wonderland - it'll cost about the same anyways. If you want marketplace shopping, go to St. Jacobs. But it was beautiful weather right there by the lake, and you might find some good stuff in the warehouse outlets if you get lucky. There are amazing deals on brand name cheap makeup in the same building as the rink, I got 4 Rimmel pieces for $10.

I went to the Don McLean concert, and it was actually really good!! (even though I only saw like five people in the same decade as me ha!) I've always loved the few songs I know from the radio, but I was a bit worried about 2h+ when I didn't know much of his stuff. His voice sounds EXACTLY the same which is always a pleasant surprise when they get to be that age. When he sang American Pie, I don't know if I've ever seen a group of later-middle-age/senior citizens move so much, it was hilarious! but definitely cool to see a classic performed by the writer. I still would have preferred Springsteen (who was at the ACC) but the price was right]

Still no music news? This is killing me....this is well past when we heard last year, isn't it?
I hope everyone enjoys the last week of summer!

Last edited by canadablue; 08-25-2012 at 02:48 PM