View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 PM
MegaJ
Extreme Fan

This episode was really good with the tension. I knew nothing could possibly happen, but I couldn't get the sinking feeling that something was going to go wrong. And again, I was misdirected! Good job Degrassi writers!

Quote:
The Baker Dad probably wasn't concerned with suicide. The Baker Dad was finding a problem that hid the ulterior motive which is a common political move particularly in battles against human rights.
Hmm. This show seems to be presenting sides of Christianity and the homophobia debate in different ways. With Becky, it's all internalized due to the reasons you've stated. She grew up thinking it was wrong and terrible and her attraction to Adam is seriously messing her up and she doesn't know what to do with her self. So her homophobia is somewhat personal. Luke just seems to be going along with it and just playing lip service to his values and probably more homophobic in the typical dumb jock masculine-insecurity way. The Baker parents? Hmm. I know Becky had to tell her father about the pay somehow, and yet somehow he wasn't really leading any sort of charge against it in the beginning. It was Becky. Mr. Baker is comfortable with his faith, from what we've seen. He isn't fighting attraction like Becky and is more mature than Luke. I'm sure he doesn't approve it the lifestyle, so his homophobia is probably the more passive love-the-sinner-hate-the-sin-if-you-want-to-change-i'll-help-you type. Which is harmful in it's own way, just not as hostile.

Quote:
Notably Dallas is the person excluded and rightfully so - Dallas can only be included when he stops hiding behind this macho tough guy image he wants to get across. Dallas's problem, while far more extreme, is more similar to Cam's than he may know. He acts based on how he feels he is supposed to. When he is himself, he is capable of being nice and ingratiating. When he tries to perform the rituals of machismo, he comes across violent, hateful, petty, etc. This cruelty backfires on him. He doesn't want Fiona to dislike him (notice how he is wounded when he is kicked out). He doesn't want Clare to be disgusted by him. He doesn't want Katie to hate him with a passion. He doesn't want Cam to think he is a bully.

The problem is when his behaviors are defended. A tendency in real life (and it crosses over to television characters) is to make excuses for such people (or in this case characters). However he is at fault for the hostility he creates. Even with Clare, he provoked the situation. Excusemaking would be to say there was nothing wrong with the kiss on Clare. Yet, here is a person, who has a boyfriend, thinking they can trust in him. She is telling about sexual harassment and how it has devastated her. And he kisses her? That does not excuse Clare, who is really angry at Asher, taking out her anger on the hockey team. But his behavior cannot be excused either. With Dallas, the show is showing how young people who feel the need to show their alpha-male tough guy side can alienate people they really like. The want is for him to mature and be his own person. It is not for him to continue along this path which alienates people he likes (and it is clear he likes Fiona as a friend, Cam as a buddy, and was attracted to Katie). He needs to grow up.
Awesome paragraphs and very true.

Okay, now on to the episode. I can't really say a lot about it except I really really liked it. Like I said, when I DON'T like something, I rant. Clare finally coming to her senses was good. I just knew that Jennifer woman would play some part when I first saw her. And it feels good that a gross guy will at least get some measure of exposure and punishment, though I may be talking to soon. Tristan's storyline was very cute and sad, perfectly capturing the isolation that a lot of gay teens feelings. His friends are his friends, but they can't possibly know what he's going through. Becky and Adam's stuff was good too. Becky fighting her feelings for Adam, and Adam sort of interested in her, this could go places.

So new episodes in October? Huh, a 6-8 week wait. Finally glad they realized fall needed episodes. And now that Hollywood Heights flopped, I hope the show can at least get back onto the 9pm slot.