View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM
mellifluouscloud
Addicted Fan

You don't even know how close I am to making an icon out of the screencap below and defending Becky's every action for the rest of the season no matter what she does. I am that determined not to let Degrassi manipulate me into hating her.

Due to my extreme laziness I am going to c&p what I wrote in the episode discussion post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish with Becky. Based on our first impression of her (above) and the character description, it seems that Degrassi's goal is to create a caricature, not a character. My understanding is that she's supposed to be an ultra-conservative close-minded Christian and therefore (I assume) pisses everyone off. She enters the Degrassi universe with a high-pitched squeal of a greeting and is such a ditz that she needs someone to show her to class. I am very wary of whether or not she'll be humanized or if she's just a device to cause drama. She seemed like a very caring person at the party, yet I was baffled by the reaction of Adam and the others when she wanted to -- GASP!!! -- donate the uniforms to charity. Oh my god, Becky, you are such a bitch, wanting to donate clothes to the less fortunate. Or at least Adam et al seem to think so. What exactly is the message here? I'm still assuming Becky will turn out to be a stereotypical crazy Christian, which is really frustrating, because Degrassi used to avoid stereotypes. Plus, they already did the "closeminded Christian redeems herself eventually" storyline with Darcy (is this episode meant to be an homage to Darcy's great moments?!) and probably should have gone this route with Clare, too, but it wasn't convenient to her love life, so that fell by the wayside. Nonetheless, I'm determined to like Becky because I feel like the show wants me to hate her. I refuse to believe that anyone is that one-dimensional.