View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 PM
GobSmacked82
Dedicated Fan

Look At My Eyes

Well shippers, you’ve all waited patiently through one thread after another for this one. Here’s Gobsmacked82’s take on what might have been observed and said in 2008 at that Celebrity Fight Night banquet where Kevin impressed everyone with his speech, and Whitney stole the mndeda show in that red dress.

Everyone starts moving to the area where KC & MW will perform. CB is trailing close to KC the entire time.
Dionne Warwick: Nippy, honey, are you gonna stay for the entire show?
WH: I might as well get my full money’s worth, you know! But seriously, I have to congratulate Kevin, the second man of the hour on his award. He’s also going to record a few minutes of a tribute to David Foster.
DW: Well, you’re doing that too, right?
WH: Yes, I am. Oh, Dionne, let’s move. This crowd is thick! You know what? Let me just go do that, and I’ll meet you afterward.
(They hug, and Whitney goes off to record her tribute to David Foster. She pulls out a mirror and begins freshening up her makeup when from behind her she hears … )
KC: That’s just a total waste of time. Completely unnecessary, and as a matter of fact, you ought to divert resources to women who really need it. Maybe you could start a foundation …
(Whitney turns around, shaking her head.)
WH: For what?
KC: I don’t know. Whitney’s Extra Beauty?
WH: What? That makes no sense.
KC: Well, it’s kind of your fault. (Whitney’s expression says ‘what now?’) That dress is making me crazy.
WH: Well, I’m sorry sir. But you’re going to have to get a grip and … Kevin, look UP. My eyes are up HERE. My face is up HERE.
KC: (Grinning.) I know all that.
WH: Let’s change the subject.
KC: How come you never want to talk about how beautiful you are?
WH: Thanks you, but you know I’m not a shallow person. We may not have seen each other in oodles of years, but you haven’t totally forgotten all about me have you? And how I am?
KC: Elhl no, I haven’t forgotten all about you and how you are! Especially not tonight. I need to thank you for the lovely introduction, by the way. It doesn’t get much better than the world’s most fabulous singer, this beautiful statuesque lady in a red dress …
WH: Look at my FACE, and stop dropping your eyes. We’re drawing attention, I think.
KC: You always think that. No one’s looking. And quite honestly, that’s an unforgettable dress.
WH: I should have worn the brown.
KC: I wouldn’t have forgiven you. Just go with it. So this gorgeous lady makes way for me to pick up an award. And we’re both recording tributes to David tonight. It’s like old times. Tonight will be etched here (points at his temple) in my mind forever, missy.
WH: What did you say to David?
KC: I forget. (Leans in closer and winks.) But I’m not sharing my notes. Do your own homework.
WH: I don’t need to cheat.
(Kevin turns to walk off and almost smacks into a pillar.)
WH: Hey, be careful! Watch where you’re going. Are you OK?
KC: (Straightens his jacket.) Oh yeah, I’m fine. Here comes C. So … I’ll see you later at the after party, right? I have to change now to perform with MW. But you’ll … you’ll be going straight over there and …
WH: And wearing this dress, yes. I have no time to change, really.
(A younger guy walks by, looks at Whitney, trips and stumbles right into the pillar.)
WH: Oh my gosh. Are you OK, baby?
(Whitney goes over to the guy and puts her hand on his shoulder.)
Younger Guy: Yes, ma’am, Miss Houston. I was just, I mean I wasn’t looking where I was going.
KC: Obviously. You need to look UP, at her face, son.
WH: (To Kevin) OK, you can leave now. You have a show to do.
(Kevin starts walking off. Looks back a couple of times, as Whitney pats the younger guy on the back and he keeps moving. She makes a shooing motion with her hands, and he’s off.)
AT THE AFTER PARTY!!!
WH: (Feels her handbag buzzing. Sees a text. It’s from …)
KC: Hey beautiful.
WH: You’re supposed to be getting ready for your show! It starts really soon.
KC: I’m in the ready room backstage. I am prepared. You’re going to love this show.
WH: Well, maybe you should be more careful. People are bound to wonder who you could possibly be texting at a time like this.
KC: Not really. I’m a busy guy. I get sued a lot, accused of sexual harassment a lot. Busy man.
WH: Stop bragging.
KC: Dionne there?
WH: Right here next to me.
KC: Say hi.
WH: No.
KC: Don’t hog her to yourself. We’re all friends.
WH: All friends? How do you and Dionne know each other?
KC: You don’t know about the letters I wrote?
WH: IDK what you’re talking about.
(A pause.)
KC: I have to talk to you later.
WH: You’re almost ON! Stop the foolishness and focus. Sound check is almost done.
KC: Lady, I’m lucky if I can focus at all with you in that dress. You’re a knockout! I’ll have just enough brainpower to sing. Much less ask you about those letters.
WH: What are you trying to say about singers?
KC: Stop changing the subject. You look amazing, and now there is the question of these letters. I have to ask you about them. Meet me later.
WH: You’re insane. CB is here. Reporters crawling are all over the place.
KC: It’ll be a quickie. We can be in and out and in …
WH: You need auto-correct! That sounded so nasty!
KC: You’re right. I’m aggrevated that you kd what I’m talking aout wigh t teh letters.
WH: You’re misspelling big time. Show is on soon. Put down your phone!
KC: Just meet me later so I can ask you an important question.
WH: If you can focus on my EYES, I’ll meet you. If you ogle my chest, we’re done. I’m trying to get back to music here, not get caught with KC’s eyes all down my chest.
KC: Deal. Whitney’s FACE. Look at Whitney’s FACE.
WH: But don’t stare are me too much. Don’t be obvious. And please delete these messages. I don’t need any problems. Sound check is DONE. Hang up now!
KC: OK. We’re talking later!!

(During the show, KC makes ‘major eye contact with audience members,’ as one entertainment reporter puts it. Whitney behaves, remembering and respecting that CB is in the room. But she constantly draws attention from well wishers who stop by to speak to her. After the show …)

KC: (Greets Dionne and Whitney) Ladies. This is CB, my wife. (Everyone says hello.)
WH: Very impressive show. Thanks for entertaining us.
KC: Thanks. This is a great group of guys. (In his head: Look at her FACE, Kevin. Her FACE.)

(CB moves off to talk to someone for a few minutes, glancing over at WH and KC frequently. Dionne gets pulled away.)

KC: Thank God. Are you meeting me later?
WH: Well, you did good with keeping the eyes up north, so yes.
KC: Good. I’m giving you a bear hug right now, you know. In my head?
WH: That’s so nice. Did you just ... did you just wink at me? Please be cool.
KC: I am.
WH: I will have to read you in the morning, if you don’t stop.
KC: Stop what? I’m looking at your bewitching eyes, your bangs, your … whatever you ladies call that part on the top of your hairstyle. (gestures around the top of her head.)
WH: Half ponytail. Put your hand down!
KC: It looks really nice. If I look any higher, I’m going to appear snooty and uppity. Is that what you want?
WH: Yes. You’re doing a good job.
(Kevin runs out of things to say, but stares into her eyes for a half minute.)
KC: I have a lot to say to you.
WH: Steady as she goes, Kevin …
KC: But as per your orders, I’ll just keep looking at your face. (And so they stare each other down for a minute or two. Nice and calm.) C is heading back this way.
WH: Then you have to go. Give her my best. (Whitney turns away quickly and disappears into the crowd. In a few minutes she meets up with DW again.)
DW: Darling, you look flushed. What is it? Do you want some water?
WH: I’m absolutely fine. It’s just really hot in here, so yes. Water sounds like a good idea. (So she and Dionne get a glass of iced water. Whitney takes a sip.)
DW: Is that better?
WH: Yeah. (She takes another sip and presses the glass to her cheek afterward.) Wow. Just … wow. I’ll have to tell you about it sometime.