View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM
GobSmacked82
Dedicated Fan

Will You Be My Rachel?

Hi Shippers,
So how do you think Kevin Costner began the campaign to get Whitney Houston to do The Bodyguard. He chased her for two years on this thing. Maybe other producers would have walked away. But not Kevin Cosnter. Enjoy.

Whitney is on a couch in her house waiting for a call to come through. Cissy is nearby. Whitney looks at her mother.

WH: We're about to find out if the rumors are true.

(An assistant hands her a cordless phone.)

WH: Hello? This is Whitney.
KC: Helllo Whitney. It's Kevin Costner. How are you?
WH: I'm fine! It's great to meet you, talk to you finally. Rumor has it that you have a movie that you want me to do.

KC: It's true, Whitney. I do have a movie, called The Bodyguard, that I want you to do. As my co-star.

WH: OK, well ...
KC: You'll do it?! That was easy. My powers of persuasion are stronger than I thought. (laughs)
WH: I mean I’m listening, as in ‘OK, tell me what you got.’ What's it about?
KC: It's a romantic thriller, about a singing superstar-that's you-
WH: Oh, good. I'm glad you cleared that up. I thought you were going to sing.
KC: (laughs) More on that later. Anyway, this star is getting death threats from a crazed fan.
WH: That is definitely not good. I am too cute for the grave, honey!
KC: She really gives him a hard time, you know. Because she's this beautiful, gifted, egotistical woman who is used to getting her way, and he puts all kinds of restrictions on her. So there is this friction between them, and they fall in love.
WH: So what happens? Does he get the girl?
KC: I'll send you a script, so you can read it. It's confidential, now. Only you can see it, sign for it and all that.
WH: Wow. You're really trusting me with this.
KC: Well, you know. I love this script and this writer. This guy, Lawrence Kasdan, wrote a couple of Star Wars films, Silverado, Body Heat.
WH: Man, this is a big project. Are you directing it, too?
KC: Not this one. I'll figure out something else.
WH: Well, like I said, this is a big project. Why do you want me for it?
KC: This movie calls for a woman with tremendous talent, that a lotta guys are in love with. You have that megastar quality, you know? You're in the same league as Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross.
WH: Really? Me? Like Diana Ross?
KC: Oh yeah. Diana ran off with a lot of guy's hearts. Same is true about you. All of you have that same gift with people.
WH: (laughs) So they say.
KC: I bet you have a whole room of trophies from guys who have tried to win you over.
WH: Well, what kind of trophies do you mean?
KC: Oh, you know. Teddy bears wearing expensive jewelry.
WH: Ooh. You heard that story about Robert DeNiro. Well, I was a novice then, and I would still be a novice movie actor, you know. I've only said a few lines on "Silver Spoons" and I do music videos. That's strolling. You want me to do a 10-K run!
KC: I know you can do this. You're perfect for it. You're perfect and I think you should think hard about this.
WH: Well, I will.
KC: Good, I'm glad. Call me after you read the script and we'll talk some more.

Weeks pass, and Whitney calls Kevin.

WH Dials the phone and KC picks up.
KC: Hey Whitney. You've called at last. I thought maybe the package was lost.
WH: No, not at all. I just thought the script deserved a thorough read. And some thought.
KC: OK, and what do you think?
WH: I don't know. It's a leading role.
KC: I know, I know. And you definitely have that leading lady quality. Believe me.
WH: I just ... don't know. I'm a singer, a singer, and-
KC: And a woman who has an abundance of talent. We can get you through the movie on that. Don't tell me you intended to do albums and tours your whole career. Not with everything you have going for you.
WH: No. No, I want to do other things, and acting seems like a natural progression of that. What I mean is that I would feel better about doing a supporting role first. But a romantic lead? With Kevin Costner? That's huge. I don't know.
(They both pause.)
WH: Isn't anyone else available? There are so many talented and real actresses out there. Surely some of them could do it?
KC: I'm looking for a singer. We also want to do a soundtrack album, not just a main song.
WH: Now I definitely know I'm not your girl. You want an actress who can sing, a singer who can act, and I'm neither of those things.
KC: Sure you are. Give yourself some credit.
WH: What about Janet Jackson? A beautiful woman with lots of acting experience and a fine voice.
KC: No.
WH: Vanessa Williams. A knockout if there ever was one, and she acts and sings.
KC: Tempting, for all those reasons you said, but no. It's you I'm thinking of for this role.

Whitney goes through a list of names, and KC says no to all of them.

KC: I only have you in mind for this role. It’s almost yours to pass up. If you don’t do it, I’ll either reconcile myself to the idea with another actress, or wait another, like 12 years.
WH: How much? What are you saying?
KC: Lawrence originally wrote this script around 1977, '78—
WH: Hush your mouth!
KC: (laughs) No, really. It was a spec script, and he had Diana Ross and Steve McQueen in mind for it.
WH: No kidding. And you think I could step into Diana’s shoes on this? I mean you saw “Lady Sings the Blues,” right? That sistah threw it down!
KC: Absolutely. Yes, you could.
Whitney takes a slow, deep breath.
KC: Think about it some more, and get back to me. I want you to say yes only when you are totally comfortable with the idea and we know how to go ahead.
WH: Alright. I’ll think carefully about it. Let me read this script, this story one more time and think about it some more.
KC: Did you read the whole thing yet?
WH: Ummm. Yeah. Between concerts and stuff.
KC: You don’t sound convincing. Here is my first acting tip for you, especially for a romantic thriller. Learn to fake it for your leading man.
WH: Whaaaaat??!! Hahahaaaa!
KC: You have a sense of humor. That’s good.
WH: You a little fresh! Talking to a good Christian girl about faking it with a man! Do you mean like Meg Ryan in “When Harry Met Sally?” You know she did him wrong in that diner. But I liked that scene, though. That was the best. And I did read the whole thing. It’s been weeks, and I take my work very seriously. Don’t get it wrong, Mr. Costner.
KC: A sense of humor is a start. Whitney, this movie is packed with scenes you’ll remember. Re-read the scene with the samurai sword. The one in the club. The one on the staircase where Rachel slaps Frank—.
WH: I know. She slaps him. I don’t like that. Rachel slapping a guy who carries a gun? That’s potential violence right there. Plus that @ss-whuppin’ that Tony got in the kitchen. I mean, dag. Tony is Rachel’s old friend and Frank just comes in, all ‘Do what I say, or I’mma knock you out!’ This Frank Farmer is crazy. Why would Rachel even like him? Running around whipping people for no reason?! And I would hate to be Gomez!
KC: You call a slap violent? After everything the killer tried to do?
WH: I just don’t slap people unless they really, really deserve it.
KC: Rachel thinks Frank deserved it. This movie is everything you go to the movies for, Whitney. The hero. The strong woman; I know you’ll like that.
WH: You’re right. There are not enough roles for strong women. My whole family is nothing but fierce, fabulous women. Wait ‘til you meet Cissy. She does not play.
KC: So you’re introducing me to your parents? We’re making progress!
WH: I did not say all of that—
KC: Are you working your neck? I can just see you now working your neck and waving your finger around. I love that about you chicks from New Jersey. So much attitude. Come on, don’t let all that Newark attitude go to waste. Do the movie with me.
WH: I need more time to decide. How much time do I have?
KC: More. You have my full attention on this. Just make sure I get to meet your parents. So I can thank them for putting together such a talented, hard-working, ambitious, beautiful—
WH: Don’t work that hard. You’re Kevin Costner.
KC: That name is not really doing me any good right now. You haven’t said yes, yet.
WH: What you mean ‘yet?’
KC: Please God; let her be working that neck.
WH: Hahahaaaaa! You crazy!
End of Part 1

Last edited by GobSmacked82; 05-16-2012 at 02:42 PM