View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 07:21 PM
GobSmacked82
Dedicated Fan

Five-Hour Window

One or two people asked me to imagine what might have happened if KC called or visited Whitney during the shoot for the film Sparkle. Well, here is what I came up with:

WH: (dials on her iPhone!!! It rings and picks up) Hello Mr. Costner.
KC: Whitney!! A phone call from the stratosphere.
WH: No, I'm quite down to earth. How are you? How are the kids? What are you up to?
KC: Watching a Christian channel. There's a special report about an ongoing brawl in Heaven. Apparently the angels are STILL fighting over who gets to sing you Happy Birthday.
WH: You're telling a fish story. My birthday already passed.
KC: That's what's so interesting about the whole thing. These angels know no time when it comes to you. Can't help themselves.
WH: Angels are well-behaved. Maybe in your version of Heaven they act like rascals, but in mine, they don't.
KC: Well, you're right. Are you calling about the delivery? You like?
WH: Very much. But you do too much. First the flowers and then the bracelet. Which is gorgeous and unusual, BTW.
KC: I knew that piece was for you when I saw it. Stumbled across it a few months ago in an estate and vintage jewelry store. I thought: man, that's perfect for her. I have to give it to her. And there is something else. Guess where I am, though?
WH: No idea. I can barely keep track of my own schedule, let alone yours. You have two sets of families, you know.
KC: Tell me about it! Keeps me young. I've got a private loft on -----. I'm here for one night. We're having dinner and dancing. Sound good?
WH: No. Not really. What about my schedule? Did you even check to see what I'm doing? I'm working here!
KC: Already handled it. I carved out five hours.
WH: Says who? How did you manage to get on my schedule? Who knows about this?
KC: Don't stress. That's your problem. I've got it under control.
WH: Last time I put a man in control of my life, it didn't work out too well. Did you do something to Pat? Kevin, you need to ease up, now.
KC: If you don't settle down, I won't give you the matching earrings.
WH: (pauses) Well, OK; I guess.
KC: Just tell your bodyguard that you going to ---- this evening. It will all work out.
WH: Matching earrings, huh?
KC: Yep.
(Hours later. A car carrying Whitney pulls up to a secure building. It pulls up and KC is there to open the car door.)
WH: Smooth. Very smooth, Mr. Costner.
KC: Quit calling me Mister. I'm not your math teacher. (kisses her slow, long)
WH: No. You're not that at all. (hugs him tighter, then pulls away) It's getting chilly. Let's head inside.
KC: Initiative! She's catching on. Only 19 more years, and she'll actually try to kiss me first. (Whitney laughs. In the elevator up, they hug and caress and kiss. Elevator opens inside a private loft/apartment. Modern place with city views and a fireplace, etc.)
WH: This place is beautiful. (steps out onto a balcony) You can see for miles. Isn't it something how a city that used to be so big is now so small and so much dimmer and poorer? I heard about a guy who hunts and barbecues racoons in the parts of the city that are back to nature. Can you believe that?
KC: (hugs her from behind) Not interested, quite honestly.
WH: I'm just saying it's weird. And sometimes ... I feel like ...
KC: I know where this is going. Don't compare yourself to Detroit. Just forget it. It's not beat up on Whitney day. (pulls her inside. They eat dinner, talk about the movie, talk about his music. They're sitting on a couch, by the fire)
WH: So where is your guitar?
KC: I didn't bring it. We don't always have to talk about the music. (picks up her hand and plays with the bracelet)
WH: Keviiin. Is there at least a piano around her? (looks around) No. What kind of setup is this? i need music if I'm going to have will power.
KC: Oh, come on! I've got all the will power you need right here.
WH: Nothing's going to happen, you know.
KC: Who said anything has to happen? I'm a gentleman ...
WH: Who is married ...
KC: Last time you were married ...
WH: That's totally different. You were a free man. It's weird. Everytime we fall for each other, you're married with three kids. So forget it. I'm not a glutton for punishment.
KC: How is that different? You know what? Forget it. We're wasting time. Take that shirt off, please.
WH: You did not ask me!
KC: I said please! (shakes his head) I won't survive this. My girls boss me, I have one ex-wife, a younger wife, a baby mama, and you're five times all of them combined. (pulls her closer. Rubs her back)
WH: Stop doing that.
KC: Just be nice to Kevin, please. (kisses her)
(Hours later, Whitney is sitting at a vanity in the master suite, fixing her hair and makeup. The bed is trashed. But the rest of the room is OK. Kevin comes near her and bumps her aside for a seat.)
WH: Excuse me, please. Man, you were sweeter to me when you were trying to hit it. Now the courting is all over ...
KC: Never. I come bearing gifts. Open this. (puts a box down in front of her)
WH: Let me see these epic, antique earrings. (she opens the box. they are not a perfect match for the bracelet, but very close) Wow. They're exquisite, Kevin.
KC: Let me put them on you. (He fastens the earrings on, taking every chance to stroke her cheeks, jaw, neck)
WH: (Grabs his hand and kisses it.) They are perfect. But we're out of time. I have to leave you now.
KC: (kisses her) So we'll see each other in what, 13 years? 20?
WH: Don't sound like that. Maybe if we are lucky, we can have a Camilla and Charles ending. No more complications or bad timing. No more sad partings and tears. No more pain.
KC: You're an optimist, after all. (takes her wrist with the bracelet, and holds it up to her face, close to the earrings) I knew it. Those angels don't have anything on me.