View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 08:12 PM
GobSmacked82
Dedicated Fan

You Trashed My Kitchen - Part II

Part II

WH: (sitting down) Here it comes.
KC: Here what comes? What do you mean by that?
WH: The 'how aaare you?' speech. (rolls eyes)
KC: Guilty. I've heard some things and I wanted to ask you about them.
WH: If they are about B, just don't get too deep, not tonight. I just want to talk to my friend.
KC: Your friend just wants to know if you’re being looked after the way you deserve. Actually, let me rephrase that, because that guy doesn’t seem like he knows which way to turn half the time. Is he at least trying?
WH: Well, yeah. You know. (tears well up) I mean … dammit, Kevin, Here? Your daughter is looking.
KC: (waves A over, points to a seat near them. Watches her sit down.) I didn't mean to make you cry. (hands her a handkerchief)
WH: I am not crying. Even if you do remind me of my father, the way you are with A.
KC: Uh oh. First the friend box, then the family box. This isn't going the right way, Whitney. (huge grin)
WH: (laughs) I meant that my Dad always looked out for me, like you are with A now. Before my Dad walked me down the aisle, he mentioned you a little. He said you were cool and he heard how you really looked after me on the Bodyguard set. Thought you were really cool. And as we were walking down the aisle, he told me that it was the hardest thing he ever had to do, and that B, had better take care of me.
KC: I can tell that he's not doing his job. (strokes her arm)
WH: No marriage is perfect, K. I had that feeling, you know, in the beginning, with B. But that went away. He’s not 100% bad, but I think those feelings usually fade away, in time. You just have to adjust and muddle through, I guess.
KC: Whit, you’re wrong. (looks directly at her) There are some feelings that never, ever fade. They don’t thin out, get warped, corrode, nothing. They’re just as solid and new as they were the first day when you saw her.
WH: Anyway, we should go. This party is the worst place to talk about this. I wish this settee were someplace else …
KC: I have a house in the area with magnificent patio furniture. You can come on over, sit right here (slaps his lap) and talk all night if you need to.
WH: Zero to score in 60 seconds. Ugh.
KC: You’re wrong. I’m an old romantic. Everything you’ve heard about me pouncing everything from here to New York to Paris is nonsense. A pack of lies to sell papers, as Whitney likes to put it. (He pulls her to stand up and reaches into his breast pocket.) I have to take A home. School tomorrow. But you should meet me in one hour here.
WH: What? You have it all written out. You’re so corny.
KC: Romantic (taps her nose) Read what it says.
WH: (Shakes her head and smiles) That’s cute. Clever.

Couple of hours later, back at his house. They’re on a settee, on his terrace, sitting close near a fire in a pit. Kevin’s arm is around Whitney, who is leaning her head on his shoulder. They’re holding hands over her shoulder; their fingers are laced.
WH: It actually worked.
KC: Why wouldn’t it? Who would put that together at this point? The movie was a while ago.
WH: Nosy reporters, that’s who. ‘Tell the guard it’s Rachel Farmer to see Kevin Costner.’ That’s what your note said. I didn’t think it would work, but it did …
KC: (he moves in for a kiss. They kiss for a while) Your problem is trust. You need to learn to count on me a bit more. I mean, I carried you out here, didn't I? Even though you trashed my kitchen on the way through the house.
WH: I did not TRASH your kitchen. Nobody told you to carry me inside and walk through the house with the lights off. Why would you do that?
KC: I don't know. Something about Whitney in a white dress and Kevin in a tux. Told you I'm an old romantic. (scoops her into his lap. More kissing and hand-holding.)
WH: Just put me back over there. (points to the seat next to him.)
KC: (holds her tighter.) No way! I’ve waited 7 years for this. You want to go upstairs, take your shoes off … ?
WH: YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE?!
KC: No. Stay where you are. I know this is hard for you, but stop being so perfect. And so chaste. At least with me, anyway.
WH: We all know I’m not perfect. How many times do I need to tell people I’m just a regular, round-the-way girl from Newark, New …
KC: You are NOT a regular anything!
WH: It’s all a creation. I have failings like anybody else. You shouldn’t build me up too much. I’ll crash down.
KC: Well, if you don't want to be perfect, then be a little selfish, like everybody else. (more kissing) And if you let me, I’ll catch you if you fall.