View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 AM
casual observer
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyr (View Post)
Public scrutiny is a funny thing. Why should entertainers be more scrutinized than politicians or police officers or teachers?
You're kidding right? Entertainers benefit directly from public attention--in fact the degree of public attention they engender is what their income is based upon. This is not at all the case with policemen, teachers etc. Those jobs--and the degree of success associated with them are not at all related to the number of 'eyeballs' they attract. It would seem that celebrities are more than willing to enjoy the perks and privileges associated with fame--the large homes it pays for, the lifestyle it subsidizes--the supermodels it attracts--but suddenly want the attention turned off when it becomes inconvenient. Not that Costner is stupid enough to think that is how things work in life--he seems to understand that fame and success at his chosen profession is a double-edged sword and that if you want to enjoy the 'good' that comes at a price of the 'bad'.

I think there's been fair warning to any would-be celebrity that you will get public scrutiny if you choose this career. That's not to defend made up tabloid press reports with no basis in fact--but keep in mind that stars have PR agents to spin things to look differently from what they actually are as well.

As far as the 'new book'--like I said I came across this information 2 months ago--never brought it to anyone's attention before and only mentioned it now because there was a direct question here on it and I distinctly remembered that girl's name. I have no idea whether or not her allegations are true. Even if they are--the behavior described is not that over-the-top and does not appear to be criminal--just perhaps a bit boorish.

And thanks for the Ontario article--very nice story about him--but then again I consider this part of the 'public scrutiny'. In this case, it reflected very positively on him--as did Whitney's eulogy and the subsequent public attention it drew. I'm sure he more than welcomes the 'good press' himself. And I'm sure he--at least now--realizes that there's just as much potential for 'bad press'. But that is something that should be obvious to anyone who chooses acting as a career. Media attention and public scrutiny are part of the deal and just like any job, it has its pluses and its minuses.